Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Nubian Kings

I always keep an eye at your work, Snodsy, even if I don't post every time. This work with SK is really nice and I find interesting the variety of your building architecture. You'll soon have a great portfolio of historical map : Hannibal march, el dorado city, Egyptian tombs... keep up this wonderfull work. Cheers.

Thanks for the comments. Straf, that was a good site, and it also led to some interesting other sites, notably the two cities discovered underwater on the Nile Delta (Thonis-Heracleion and Canopus) which would make a great map depicting them during their reign.

The setting isn't a specific time period, nor is this an exact depiction of a location, but the time frame is during the Nubian Kings reign - during the Roman Empire (200 BC-200AD), this is the main Temple of Apedemak pictured. I've also taken some liberties and used the Pyramids from nearby Meroe, which was also a Nubian (Ku****ic Kingdom)

Here's an update on the Sketchup map. Unfornately curves don't show up unless you check profiles, which then male all the lines too thick, I'll had to redraw these in photoshop

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11_25_CityJabiLINE_WT.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.84 MB 
ID:	89703

I thought you might like that. I saw it and thought of you and your map straight away.

Maybe I need to change some settings but it seems that the middle four letters of the particular kingdom have been asterisked out for me haha!

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    ...Unfornately curves don't show up unless you check profiles, which then male all the lines too thick, I'll had to redraw these in photoshop...
    If there is a number next to the "profiles" box that you check, try changing that number to "1". I think the default is "2", which is twice as thick as the "edges" default (which should be "1"). Also, another way to play with lineweights in Sketchup is to export the image at a different resolution (higher resolutions make all lines relatively thinner, lower resolutions make all lines relatively thicker).

Very cool model so far!

Quote Originally Posted by RedKettle View Post
    If there is a number next to the "profiles" box that you check, try changing that number to "1". I think the default is "2", which is twice as thick as the "edges" default (which should be "1"). Also, another way to play with lineweights in Sketchup is to export the image at a different resolution (higher resolutions make all lines relatively thinner, lower resolutions make all lines relatively thicker).

Very cool model so far!
    Thanks red kettle that worked, profile at 1, 300 resolution at 5000 pixel wide, will update later image

Color added, comments welcome. Plenty still to color and then details of stone carving on main temples and others. Mountain still to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NubianKingColor1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	89760

The drawing is looking great, snodsy

I'm not very keen on that yellow, but I'm not sure why. Normally I would be able to say 'its too green', or 'its too saturated', or something like that, but I just can't seem to put my finger on it right now. It could be that the yellow is fine, but it just happens to clash very slightly with the much less saturated colours of that speckled background you've got going there. Yellow and 'sort of brown-grey' is always a tricky one. Its much easier to match yellows with pale silver-blue-green greys (like daffodil leaves), or extremely weak and very pale indigo-greys.

Mind you, I might be the only person on Earth that doesn't like it - so it is only an opinion and not a criticism

This is looking really neat snodsy It's got that fun history book look to it. What is the entrance's orientation?

Mouse, it could be that there was a medicine that colour that tasted awful? I can remember it when I was a kid and that colour reminds me of it. An almost fluorescent yellow.

Don't know that one, Straf. It was the fluorescent orange one that I remember - kiddies Penicillin.

I might not like the yellow right now, snodsy, but I have faith in you to make it work - even without ever changing the yellow

Ooh, I like it! This really makes me want to learn sketchup. Looking forward to seeing the completed piece.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast