Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nubian Kings

Wip Nubian Kings

starting a new map using Illustrator, Sketchup, and Photoshop - Going to use this thread to also remember myself of what I did

Been doing research for a couple days two area of Nubian Kings during the time of Rome along the Nile River between the 4th & 6th cataracts.
    Meroe - has a lot of great pyramids, different than Giza, smaller and narrower.
    Naqa - Temple of Amun at Jebel Barkal (at base of mountain)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	783-0.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	89468Click image for larger version. 

Name:	289E384100000578-3079904-image-a-11_1431601865502.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	89469Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2560px-Naqa_Apedamak_temple.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	579.2 KB 
ID:	89473

Found a plan of the excavation of Naqa with a scale, showing the buildings. Also found a few illustrations and some great photos of the two temple that are in relatively good shape there. Plus plenty of photos of the Pyramids.

Name:	JabaInternet.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	89470

Took the scaled jpeg into Adobe Illustrator and redrew the lines to scale. Turned all the lines into shapes (outlines) and then used the pathfinder tool to combine all the linework.

Name:	JabaIllustrator.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	982.9 KB 
ID:	89471

Then saved as a DWF file and placed into Sketchup. With just a little work did a first PUSH/PULL upward of all the wall to one height for now.

Name:	HomeJabi1stPERSPECTIVE.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	216.5 KB 
ID:	89472

Will fill in the city and add the pyramids - planning on using sketch up for the perspective and layout -

not sure if I'll do all the linework in Sketchup or just rough it in and redraw in Photoshop would love to hear your THOUGHTS on this matter????

Hope if come out ok, first attempt with this methods.

The first result is already outstanding ! I knew I had to dive more into sketch up ! I'll follow this thread with interest. Go snodsy !

Hey Snodsy- just stumbled on this and had to say "Great work!".
    I love SketchUp (though I've only got the free version).
    Looking forward to seeing the next stage.

Another very interesting project snodsy! Looking really good so far, and i can imagine it both ways (entirely made in sketchup, or redrawing it by hand in photoshop). I only think it should be consistent, so if you plan to do depict the terrain around the buildings for example, you might need to find a way to do it in sketchup too or some other way computer generated... On the other hand i'd love to see another hand drawn map of yours... Looking forward to see this unfold!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Here is a test for the larger city plan. The full will have two temples (Including this one), 5-6 pyramids, mountain in background with city wall and city. All linework in sketch up except artwork and sculptures and mountains. Font - Lithos. Border will be two columns with carved embossed artwork . Comments Welcome.

Name:	NubianKingTEST.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	1.55 MB 
ID:	89573

Name:	MeroeLineOnlyProfile.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	715.5 KB 
ID:	89574

Wow! You're going all technical on me, and the map is magnificent already

Are you going to map the entire city this way, or just the key points you have already identified? It sounds more like a project involving several maps, rather than all this effort for just one map.

This looks awesome snodsy. I double the Mouse question. Are you gonna map all of it this way?

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Nice! I have nothing to add other than I love ancient Egypt works. 🙋🏾

Yeah ancient Egyptian history is alway intriguing, was interesting to find out there are more pyramids in current day Sudan than Egypt, although smaller. I'd also love to do the area of PUNT someday as well, which is still under debate as to it's actual location.

Yeah the plan is to do one map with this Temple as a main element but will have the city surrounding it. This may take the rest of the year to finish, but looking forward to learning Sketchup more and combining with Photoshop. Here goes!

Looking forward to the progress

Is Sketchup really difficult to learn?

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast