Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: Let's share our hate of forests

Default Random Forests

Not sure where this may lead, but thought I'd post here with a kind of work in progress. After tinkering with Blender for a 3D map, and Photoshop for a brush-based map, a question formed; Can you put these two approaches together? And then I ran across this, How to fake a forest in Blender, a two-part tutorial.

This uses Blender's 'particle system' in a way where a single 2D tree image (or a variety of trees) can be duplicated and scattered with various sizes across your map. You can paint with brush tools to define forest areas, or modify the density of trees, and ultimately fine-tune with individual edits.

Manually duplicating a few trees
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Trees_particle.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	309.6 KB 
ID:	121412

Applying the particle system. Look at the little tiny trees!

Name:	Blender_paper_plane.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	337.9 KB 
ID:	121414

Attempting some paper texture displacement. (following How to make a procedural paper texture)

Name:	Blender_paper_texture_terrain_zoom.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	271.0 KB 
ID:	121413

Ramping up to 8,000 trees

Name:	Blender_Map_forest_8k_zoom.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	489.8 KB 
ID:	121415

The full area. Trying to carve a path through the woods. There's probably a less-is-more lesson in here somewhere, but I don't want to hear it yet, I'm having fun

Name:	Blender_Map_forest_8k.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	121416

To be continued... So far, this was done with one tree from the Widman Brush set from KM Alexander (thanks again for all of these), and there's a bunch more to explore.

Name:	Trees.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.3 KB 
ID:	121417

Remains to be seen is if the illusion works for all the other kinds of map elements? But for now, it's been fun to try cultivating some forests from the trees.

I'm curious as to what folks think. It seems to look good at certain scales. Bit heavy on the shadows? Need more definite boundaries? Can this open up entirely new realms of forest-based tedium?

Nah, that's not excessive. Results are great, you should do a tutorial in its own thread instead of hiding it in here. I'm pleased with the look you created!

Click my banner, behold my art! Fantasy maps for Dungeons and Dragons, RPGS, novels.
    No obligation, free quotes. I also make custom PC / NPC / monster tokens.
    Contact me: calthyechild@gmail.com or _ti_ (Discord) to discuss a map!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiana View Post
    Nah, that's not excessive. Results are great, you should do a tutorial in its own thread instead of hiding it in here. I'm pleased with the look you created!
    Cool, Thanks for the feedback! Very encouraging! and good call, I'll re-post at least in a new thread, and it'd be fun to make a tutorial from this

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789