Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's share our hate of forests

Post Let's share our hate of forests

This is more a cry for help (psychologic help I mean) than a proper thread.

I'd like to shout my hate of forests at the community. While I'm a regular tree hugger and I generally refuse to do harm to those magnificent barky beings, there are times when I could do much harm to them, saddisticaly. Which times do you ask ? Usually when I've just spend 5 hours drawing a damned canopy and the only thing I can think of is "I'm halfway thru !".

So I started this thread so that frustrated and enraged people like me, ready to look at a forest fire, roaring a mad laughter (at the moment only, I'm usually all cotton candy ... organic of course) can share their pain.

I'm gonna jump back into this jungle of suffering, see ya folks.

“It was written I should be loyal to the nightmare of my choice.”

I hear you, maybe a thread like what was recently done showing mountain styles could be done for forest, I never know which direction to go with them and any direction I choose I'm never satisfied. I love hiking and being in their company, I've even worked at a nature center for 5 years, but haven't fully captured their essence or beauty, I'm now fond of drawing deserts 🤓

Eh, I have no issues with hand-drawn, nor digitally created forests which I almost always include in maps I create. I use different techniques to depict forests, with the purely digital ones being easiest to create, but again, no "hate" from me about forests.

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	port-fairglade.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	1.69 MB 
ID:	89709Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hollow-tree-06.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	3.20 MB 
ID:	89710Click image for larger version. 

Name:	castaway_final.jpg 
Views:	182 
Size:	2.36 MB 
ID:	89711Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crown-colonies-final-fixed.jpg 
Views:	252 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	89712Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yuleblood-2400.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	2.82 MB 
ID:	89713
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Quote Originally Posted by Gamerprinter View Post
    Eh, I have no issues with hand-drawn, nor digitally created forests which I almost always include in maps I create. I use different techniques to depict forests, with the purely digital ones being easiest to create, but again, no "hate" from me about forests.

GP
    Don't worry, I've got no hate towards forests, that was just a way to complain about my own (and the client's) choice. Making maps is a wonderful activity but sometimes it gets a bit repetitive but when it's done, it's often worth the time spent ... at least, I hope

@ snodsy : such a thread would be a blast ! Let's hope The Hoarse Whisperer has the courage to take on the task
    Last edited by ThomasR; 11-25-2016 at 03:39 PM.

I don't hate forests yet because I haven't progressed from hating mountains The next mountain I see I'm going to nut and stick two fingers up at!

Oh and I had a great walk today in a wood that has been coppiced since at least the 13th century where some of the root bases are estimated to be at least 1000 years old.

Gamerprinter those maps are great but that Crown Colonies one, for me, is a work of particular distinction.

Blog Entries

I simply switched tactics to writing software to place trees for me before getting to that point.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-ink2.png 
Views:	282 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	89714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map.png 
Views:	254 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	89715
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 11-25-2016 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Gamerprinter those maps are great but that Crown Colonies one, for me, is a work of particular distinction.
    I totally second that !

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    I don't hate forests yet because I haven't progressed from hating mountains The next mountain I see I'm going to nut and stick two fingers up at!
    Oh Straf, please don't. That could be very painful - especially if you've drawn any really pointy ones!

I think the hatred is not so much of the forests but the sheer amount of time involved in drawing them - especially in isometric view. I think its actually easier in top view, because you only have to worry about the form shading making the tops look... floofy, but isometric drawings mean that you also have to worry about tree trunks/no tree trunks, how to make the forest look like its standing up and not some strange encroachment of lumpy algae rolling out over the land, and there's also a much bigger problem depicting rivers that cut through the forest... whereas with top view you either have roundish tree blobs overhanging the river, or you don't. Simple

The whole thing is even easier if you use ready made tree symbols, as in CC3, but even then it can get quite laborious, so I do know how you feel. I'm currently trying to repopulate a woody city map with about 1000+ tree symbols. Placement is critical, since each tree symbol is 'above' the last, so if you do the woodland in the wrong order the slope can look the wrong way up... if you see what I mean

I hope to finish the map by tomorrow, then I'll upload it on the forum (once the client greenlights it). I'm eager to have other peoples view on this one.

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast