Thread: 1st attempt hand drawn dungeon Dyson-style

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Mapping Dyson-style

Hi Folks,

Here is a Dyson-style map I drew up this afternoon (a far superior one to the original post) with and without grid. It's more of a practice map really, just trying to get the hatching technique right first but I also want to scan and possibly colour the maps I do in the future.
    ### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Dangerous Place.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	91248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A Dangerous Place_Grid.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	1.20 MB 
ID:	91250

So, I have a couple of questions. Obviously I've worked out how to remove the grid from the scan using adjustment levels and the eraser etc. but is there a relatively simple way of leaving the grid in the playable sections and removing it from the hatched sections? Or am i better off adding a grid later?

I have no idea on how to colour and shade properly. I've seen, I think it's Pyrandon's, a tutorial on basic colouring in PS but is there a more advanced version? I'm using PS CS4

I really dig this hand-drawn style and I've recently started following Matt Jackson's excellent blog as well as Dyson's. I know my hatching and basic drawing needs work, particularly the crates, they're awful. Any feedback, critique, suggestions more than welcome.
    Last edited by damonjynx; 01-14-2017 at 03:10 AM. Reason: Updated post
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps