Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: WIPs and the public domain

Thanks Falconius. I do know that actual ink on actual paper takes precedence over digital information, especially if a development story can be followed. This applies in laboratory research when developing a formula, for example. I guess keeping the early creation files is also important as it provides an audit trail.

Interesting thread. I indy publish bits and pieces, my own work and others, and I'd like to create an OGL setting for my favourite rule system, Legend by Mongoose Publishing, that includes the magic system from a licensed, published setting that isn't OGL also by Mongoose, who unfortunately, no longer have the licence. The only way I can see to include it with no legality issues is, firstly to make sure there are absolutely no references to the licensed property and either pitch my setting to and have it published by Mongoose, or if they're unwilling to publish, ask permission and come to some arrangement, fiscal/advertising or some such with Mongoose. Obviously, if I wanted to, I could just rip it off and modify it slightly so that it's "different" enough that I won't get sued for plagiarism or breach of copyright, the problem with that is 1) I'm not that type of person and 2) by doing that it wouldn't have the same flavour and IMO would wreck it. But as we all know, there are folk out there, greedy SOB's, that don't care about whats right and would do just that...
    Last edited by damonjynx; 12-07-2016 at 09:00 PM.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Unfortunately, its those SOBs that make showing creative works for helpful criticism from other creative people, a total nightmare!

I wonder just how many truly fabulous pieces of art there are in the world that no one has ever seen... and which no one will ever see... just because the author has decided that it simply isn't worth the hassle of trying to prevent the mauling all such things of beauty seem to get the moment they are released into the public domain?

What I am learning very quickly is just how much I don't know about so many things. I am receiving a great education about many different things here I hope I can give something back somehow.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I wonder just how many truly fabulous pieces of art there are in the world that no one has ever seen... and which no one will ever see... just because the author has decided that it simply isn't worth the hassle of trying to prevent the mauling all such things of beauty seem to get the moment they are released into the public domain?
    This x10.

I know I have a ton of great apps and code projects I have written which will not see the light of day outside of my PC. The mauling when I did release something was eye opening. Even though you know its all made up and just trolling and even if it bothers me not a jot, its the time spent dealing with it, or dealing with overcoming other peoples reactions to it that is so not worth it.

Take for example the band Coldplay. Here is a link to their wikipedia discography. Note the album charting positions - esp for the UK.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coldplay_discography

And here is a link talking about why has it become cool to hate Coldplay.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...t-stories.html

What gives ? I don't get it. But know this, if you put something new out there, even if some people love it, there will be others who generate hate for no real reason whatsoever. I like to think of those people as those who probably dont make or do anything at all - other than to hate other peoples work full time.

This Guild tho is pretty exceptional in this regard which is probably why I stick around...
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-08-2016 at 07:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    This x10.

This Guild tho is pretty exceptional in this regard which is probably why I stick around...
    +1 Gazillion-trillion-billion. Even though I have a very low opinion of my own work that I've posted here, in comparison to the works of art I see here on a regular basis, the support and encouragement from other members is mind blowing. I've been on a few forums and posted comments on the odd YouTube video and the amount of vitriol on them is astonishing.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123