Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crypt of the Witch King

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    http://lowres.cartoonstock.com/myths...de7361_low.jpg may help. As a marker on the map, it doesn't much matter. Most folks familiar with the genre will recognize it as such and you might get your players all worked up by the presence of a recognizable but different symbol ( http://oglaf.com/trapmaster/ demonstrates the concept - be warned that ads on the page are very NSFW, as are many of the other pages).
    LMAO. I like them. I'm going to change the star to a pentagram - more appropriate for The Crypt of the Witch King!
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

The required form of a "circle of power" depends on the summoner, the summoned, and the purpose of the summoning. Crossed triangles, crossed squares, a pentagram, and so on are all appropriate in context. The amount of language scribed as part of the circle also varies widely. The classic use of such circles is to contain a summoned entity until such time as a bargain can be struck for services.
    However, be careful not to fall into this trap...

I'm going now.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    However, be careful not to fall into this trap...

I'm going now.
    So you should after posting that Possibly the worst joke ever, but funny and appropriate.

Anyhow, here's an update with a 'new pattern' I created for the wall edges (flipped vertically and horizontally and then painted on with inverted, pattern fill layers and a large, round, soft edge brush -Thanks Butch Curry!) and a proper pentagram as befits the Crypt of a Witch King.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nov Challenge WIP2 B&W3.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.13 MB 
ID:	90263

Finished Maps

Now I'm all confused again. There's a 5-point star by the entrance, but the key still shows a 6-point star.

I may not be able to map worth a hoot, but I do a fair job at editing. Sometimes. Well, not very often at all, really.

The fill pattern around the outside edges is attractive, but the pattern very visibly repeats at thumbnail scale.

Now I'm all confused again. There's a 5-point star by the entrance, but the key still shows a 6-point star.

I may not be able to map worth a hoot, but I do a fair job at editing. Sometimes. Well, not very often at all, really.

The fill pattern around the outside edges is attractive, but the pattern very visibly repeats at thumbnail scale.
    Good pick up on the Legend, I forgot to change that...I'll fix it later but won't bother re-posting unless I make other changes.

I'm trying to create a "Dyson style" hatch pattern but due his randomness and my inexperience creating patterns, I'm finding it very hard to emulate as a pattern. It certainly doesn't work as a PS brush either, at least not as far as I can see. As you're probably aware he uses pen & paper to draw his maps and his hatching style is unique, really suits his old school vibe and looks totally awesome, so I thought I'd have a go at it - I don't have a graphics tablet at the moment, nor do I have the patience or inclination to hatch every line by hand...

Finished Maps

Here is the finished map. I'm calling this done. Thanks RobA for the hatch pattern - is it OK if I use this in a published adventure with my map?

Name:	CotWK_Final.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	910.9 KB 
ID:	90339
    Last edited by damonjynx; 12-18-2016 at 07:13 PM.

Finished Maps

That's looking really cool damonjynx

Why don't you put it up on Finished Maps forum?

I also discovered by mistake earlier this afternoon that Krita has a fantastic facility that outdoes anything PS or GIMP can do as far as creating seamless textures goes, and I very nearly drew you one myself - except I ran out of time in the day to do it!

If you have Krita (its free if you don't) any file can be turned into a texture file providing you have Settings/Configure Krita/Display/GLS box ticked (which I believe is default nowadays) then all you have to do is press W on your keyboard and you have an infinite plane of repeating squares

I did this in a few minutes just now to show you what I mean. Its actually easier to do hand drawn textures in Krita than it is to do them in Genetica (my usual texture making software of choice)

Name:	Krita texture.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	886.1 KB 
ID:	90340

N.B. If I was making a texture and not just a quick demonstration for the sake of a screen shot, I would use a larger area so that the repetition wasn't so obvious in the pattern.
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-18-2016 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Stuff...
    Thanks Mouse! I will post it up there, I think. I'll check out that other software after x-mas as well. Have a good one!

Finished Maps

Happy Christmas to you to, damonjynx

Here is a link to the Krita site in case you get bored on Boxing day

Guild Novice

I'm a big fan of both styles, though I see the blue OSR style much less often than Dyson's. (That's not a criticism - I use Dyson's style myself).

Personally I think the Dyson style works best when the rooms aren't quite so perfectly formed. What you've done here is great, but to me it's obvious that the style has been applied afterwards rather than the map being created that way to begin with. That paper texture is wonderful though. Is that stock or did you create it yourself?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast