Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: December 2016 Challenge : Castle Siege

Not much done? There's more in one day than I can achieve in a month! such great drawing work.

I was wondering, though, from a practical point of view what's to stop would be assailants silently sailing up the river under cover of darkness and scaling the cliff face? Or is that yet to be revealed?

I can upvote your map justg for that bridge!!
    Nice work so far!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Today was a good one...

I'm almost done with the castle, I think...

A few buildings are left unfinished in the courtyard, because ... they probably will be destroyed

I've made a first try with the colour... Though I'm not sure it looks like watercolour..

Now I'm starting to "tell the story", with the arrival of the invaders, by ship

### LATEST WIP ###

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle siege 06.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	6.18 MB 
ID:	90332

Its looking really good

Can I ask - Are you using watercolour on the original, or is this a scanned image you're colouring?

Nice work with the ships. The castle and the church are excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Its looking really good

Can I ask - Are you using watercolour on the original, or is this a scanned image you're colouring?
    Thanks Mouse ! No, I'm drawing directly on Photoshop, using a Wacom Tablet. I used a brush with sensitivity to pressure and I changed the size of the brush according to the distance of the elements in perspective. For the elements of the story, I will use just a line of a pixel wide. I've trouble for the colour though... Not sure I can have the right colour and keep the texture of the paper... Not skilled enough...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Nice work with the ships. The castle and the church are excellent.
    Thanks a lot... I was afraid the ships would be too little or too thin and that we wouldn't see them.... But I figured I can't make them bigger, other wise I'll be completely wrong with the perspective..

This is coming along really well. Just seeing the details being added is a treat in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks Mouse ! No, I'm drawing directly on Photoshop, using a Wacom Tablet. I used a brush with sensitivity to pressure and I changed the size of the brush according to the distance of the elements in perspective. For the elements of the story, I will use just a line of a pixel wide. I've trouble for the colour though... Not sure I can have the right colour and keep the texture of the paper... Not skilled enough...
    Would the colour layer work better with a different mode? (Just to confuse the issue I'm talking in barely learned GIMP). I was playing with colouring one of my own maps earlier, and discovered there were all kinds of different ways of combining layers with those underneath them. I don't know how this goes in PS, but its called the mode in GIMP. I was looking at that colour patch you have done (and I hear what you say about losing the paper texture). I'm thinking some kind of mode adjustment might do the trick to at least bring the texture out - soft light, or burn, or colour mode... or something other than normal mode.

Maybe one of the seasoned users can help a bit better. After all, I've only been playing with colours in GIMP just today
    Last edited by Mouse; 12-18-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Mouse is right for the color. You can use different mode in Gimp to keep the texture of the paper. For my maps, I use multiply with variation of opacity, with sometimes another layer of color burn with another opacity. You can vary the opacity of the two layer to adjust the tone to your feeling. If you keep a normal mode, you loose the texture of the background at 100% opacity.

Hey !

I've lost some time today on the sea... I wasn't satisfied with the way I did... too simple... I checked old engravings and came with that result :

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Castle siege 07.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	7.79 MB 
ID:	90390

For the colour, I used a "darkest light" mode of blending... It was just a test. I find it always difficult to have the exact colour you want when you're using blending mode (depending on the colour of the paper you're using... but here, it's white, so it might be "easy"...)

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast