Thread: Quote blocks empty in Firefox 50.1.0 on Ubuntu

Blog Entries

Help Quote blocks empty in Firefox 50.1.0 on Ubuntu

I'm seeing the quotes in messages as blank. The vertical extent seems to relate to the missing content, but doesn't change when changing the width of the viewport suggesting no word wrapping is going on. Selecting doesn't show anything in the missing area. Elements within the quote block (Links, code blocks) show the empty square "missing character" glyph for each character (suggesting a character encoding problem) disabling CSS eliminates the problem.

Showing source shows the content as present. It also gives the same missing character glyphs for the SGML DOCTYPE header while the rest of the document seems fine.

The problem seems to have manifested while updating from Ubuntu GNOME 15.04 using a non-package managed Firefox 50.0 to Ubuntu GNOME 16.10 using the distribution provided Firefox 50.1.0.

Google Chrome 55.0.2883.87 works just fine. Switching Firefox to safe mode (disabling all extensions) does not.

Downloading the page with wget and viewing in a hex editor shows everything as seemingly being in ASCII/8859-1 as declared by the HTTP headers.

Code:
    Application Basics
    ------------------

Name: Firefox
    Version: 50.1.0
    Build ID: 20161209093710
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
    Multiprocess Windows: 0/1 (Disabled by add-ons)
    Safe Mode: true
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quote.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	14.8 KB 
ID:	90416

Name:	doctype.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	90417

Selecting over the affected region and pasting into a text editor shows the missing content and characters showing the missing glyph correctly.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 12-21-2016 at 08:33 PM.

Blog Entries

According to Mozilla: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ there isnt a 50.1 version. Not sure what ubuntu is installing there. In any case, it looks like Mozilla has screwed up.

I'm posting this using Firefox 50.1.0 on Ubuntu 16.04 and the quote block shows up fine for me. How is your browser set up for displaying content [Preferences > Content] Under the advanced part of Fonts and Colours I have 'Allow sites to use their own fonts' checked.

Name:	FirefoxRename.png 
Views:	22 
Size:	69.2 KB 
ID:	90419

It would appear to me that the font that your Firefox is using can't handle italics very well.

The other thing is I had a problem with msttfcorefonts the other week and had to install version 3.6 of the installer via the Software Centre from here as per this thread, here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/54367...fonts-problems but I don't know if this would affect Firefox, unless you're forcing it to use MS TTF to display.

Actually, there is a 50.1.0 version. It came out last week. Looks like that release page isn't up to date.

Hai-Etlik, I had a look at the Guild's page on my PC with Ubuntu/Gnome desktop & same Firefox version. I'm not seeing the issue you're having. Everything looks as it should for me. Could you perhaps try running Firefox under a new profile and see if that makes a difference? Perhaps something has become corrupt when switching from the non-repository version.

Edit: Ninja'd by Straf
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    According to Mozilla: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/releases/ there isnt a 50.1 version. Not sure what ubuntu is installing there. In any case, it looks like Mozilla has screwed up.
    I am on my linux machine now and have patched up and am also on 50.1. So ill quote this and see how it looks for me,,,

EDIT: Looks fine to me. So its something specific on your system I think. I have prefs/fonts/advanced Latin Serif and default font 16 selected.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 12-22-2016 at 05:08 AM.