View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Okay... here are some questions about this city.....
    Is it in highlands? Lowlands? In a valley? On a lake? on an Ocean?
    Is it long or more round/square... like elongated or more equal in size relative to center?
    Near mountains? in wetlands? or desert? any particular climate type area?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I' sort of getting it. In a sense we wouldn't need to necessarily make sure that all the sewers linked up, as long as they didn't cross over the boundary lines. If that's the case then that's a lot easier, because dungeon enthusiasts could do as many sewers as they liked on their own property, while those of us who prefer building interiors or many levelled towers could do that either instead of or as well as the sewers... (I think)
    We can also have undergrounds that do cross boundaries.. but we just have to be cognizant of stuff when they are done
    With that in mind... I might make a huge grid for the whole thing so we can all line things up to a 5 foot grid even if the city lines are more organic.

From the position of the City of Guild on the Guildworld map it looks very much as if the city is in the middle of some kind of plain in mid latitudes.

EDIT: a grid would be extremely useful, but very costly in terms of your time and effort!

Blog Entries

Well, presumably (and I am assuming... which is always dangerous....) the top level basic outline is going to be sections of the city with some vague roads and what not and you chop this up and dish it out to turn it into beautiful sections to put back together. I would imagine that the sections would be outlined by the roads. Not sure if you get half a road to map.... But anyway, at some point somebodys section is going to have roads going into and out of their border and these have to line up or else we have the city of dead ends. So I was thinking that the sewer passages would be the same and that someone has to mark out the rough pattern which has to marry up with the rough ground level pattern. Either that or one single person gets to do the whole sewer as a single section. But people mapping the ground level would have to be aware where the sewer has to come up in some places and ensure that they put some kind of access point there for it.

Did you have an idea how the basic shape of the city gets marked out ?

Edit - sniped here. Maybe a grid then...
    Also, would be nice to have some water in it like docks etc. But thats a really open question that somebody has to just take the reins and say this is how its going to be.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-05-2017 at 07:55 PM.

I have some very large grids that i have created previously for other city ventures.

Well, for specifics... we can make things go a certain way if need be.
    We can work out that sort of stuff - roads, sewers, etc.

edit - but ... it will be a very large grid, if it is 5 feet to a grid square...
    so we really will need to know the size of this city

edit edit - the city of Guild can also maybe be shifted a bit in location if we want or need some sort of change in either climate or elevation...
    or... maybe we can make a new regional map for Robbie's lands, a bit more zoomed in, which clears up some elevation details.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-05-2017 at 08:03 PM.

My thoughts have been polluted by ChickPea's Challenge!

A song for the city builders

EDIT: I think it would be better to cut the sections down the middle of the road. It will be easier to blend the bits together by fuzzing the road a bit, rather than fuzzing the front line of buildings on one or other side of the street.
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-05-2017 at 08:09 PM.

We might not have to move the city - all that extra work for you guys!

We could have a major Silk Road type trade route that goes through it... and those land ships sailing past. (can't remember what film I saw those in, but land vehicles with really big sails on them like ships)

Just playing with ideas...
    So, if we leave Guild city where it is right now, that has it way inland and not near any rivers, lakes, seas, or oceans.
    But... maybe it is some sort of weird karst environment and there are all sorts of nice underground lakes and rivers and such.
    And maybe in the midst of the city is a giant sink hole down to a big lake

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think it would be better to cut the sections down the middle of the road. It will be easier to blend the bits together by fuzzing the road a bit, rather than fuzzing the front line of buildings on one or other side of the street.
    This is a good point. Much better to have any mismatch of peoples section along something which could be naturally variable instead of a building line. In a sense we could use peoples sections up to just the curb and use a standard texture for the middle of the roads which means that the roads are consistent throughout the city and peoples sections dont have to line up so precisely any more. This is similar to the guildworld where I made a standard sea texture for the world to put all the sections on.

Oh WOW! Now you're talking!

I love this original stuff. Lets be different to everyone else and do the unexpected

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast