View Poll Results: Do you want to map 'Guild City'?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'd like to map all or part of 'Guild City'

24 85.71%
  • I'd like to watch people trying to map 'Guild City'

4 14.29%
  • This is a bad idea, please don't use it!

0 0%
Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild City

Magnificent

You are just magnificent, John

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

So the rocks around and under the city will be limestone karst. Will that have affected the building material used for roads and houses in the older parts of the city. And as the city grew would other materials have been used for newer additions because of cultural, economic, or labor reasons? Not that this question has an answer, Just something I thought of.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I think we can draw an inner and an outer wall,
    Maybe but I don’t know where is should be. I think 1 wall is enough.

I imagine some of the districts to be something like "gated" communities nowadays with their own walls
    I think we should let each participant decide if they want to build their own walls. These walls would be much smaller than the outer walls.

There would be probably more than 1 road of access to the ancient city.
    The original, ancient 'old town' area in 1 would be followed by district 14
    In my mind, 1 is not an inner city; it’s a castle/fortress because it’s rather small.

I do feel that the main road is more likely to approach from the south rather than the east - why build a bridge if you don't need to?
    I thought it would look more epic that way. In order to access the castle, they need to climb and pass under a tower and cross the drawbridge leading to the castle. But your right, we could also enter directly from the south, it would be more practical

We need to have critical roads linking the city to its neighbour’s t the East and north east,
    Done.

At the same time as 1 being settled, I'd imagine that other settlements would grow up around the other water sources. The surrounding areas would probably have been used for agriculture.
    Yes, the city is surely surrounded by small villages. I presume that the bulk of the buildings will be inside the walls and the surrounding will be suburbs and countryside.

I think there may be several ancient and possibly ruined walls on the west side
    I added an old wall on the westerns slopes. It has mostly degraded due to past attacks and lack of maintenance. We could add more later.

Here is the edited map. There is still plenty of room to add more things to it if needs be.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild city layout test copie2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	5.75 MB 
ID:	90869

I also added a small scale under Guild City.

Here is the png: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scale.png 
Views:	26 
Size:	3.2 KB 
ID:	90866

The scale is based on these number:

The size of the area inside the wall is around 5 600 000 pixel, using J. Edward file.
    I assume that the city has an average population density over 25 000 per square kilometer and since we have some uninhabited space,
    Also, some people actually live outside of the walls.
    I believe that an area of 2 sq km is a decent size for the city. The same size as the state of Monaco.
    2 sq km is 2 000 000 sq meters (m2).
    Meaning, each pixel covers 0,35 m2, but we could use 0,33 m2 for convenience. Which is 3 pixels for each meter as you can see on the scale.

So, the size of district 1 is: 196 500 pixels or 65 000 m2. That's about the size of the whole Saint Peter’s square in the Vatican and maybe a bit more.

Not big but in my mind, it’s a fortress/castle, not an inner city.
    Last edited by Azélor; 01-07-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post

In my mind, 1 is not an inner city; it’s a castle/fortress because it’s rather small.

I thought it would look more epic that way. In order to access the castle, they need to climb and pass under a tower and cross the drawbridge leading to the castle. But your right, we could also enter directly from the south, it would be more practical

Sorry I didn't understood the scale of the whole city...
    So I think you were right with your proposal : if No 1 is just a castle-citadel, then the way you draw the access road was very clever... is it complicated to go back to your 1st version ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jalerym View Post
    So the rocks around and under the city will be limestone karst. Will that have affected the building material used for roads and houses in the older parts of the city. And as the city grew would other materials have been used for newer additions because of cultural, economic, or labor reasons? Not that this question has an answer, Just something I thought of.

Limestone buildings would probably be predominant, but I guess building materials would be linked with climate and vegetation in the surrounding area, since a dry area would be relatively kind to wattle and daub constructions, while the forests needed for timbered buildings would depend on the climate and prevalence of trees in the area. I have noticed that limestone karst areas can still have plenty of trees, even though much of the water is underground, so the presence of trees is more to do with rainfall and temperature. Looking at where we are on the Guild map we seem to be just a little south of the equator, so don't hold out your hopes for massive forests to work with (thomrey will be relieved about that I expect), because the tropics are prime sites for deserts - especially inland.

Taking a completely different angle - if your sector is ultra modern and full of space age technology you might have steel, glass and concrete constructions much like modern cities... although the jury is still out about that sort of thing

I think we might be moving threads and getting stuff together.
    So we might move the current thread to the new area, maybe.
    Also, Mouse, we would move your index thread there too.

Earthquake everyone!

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

And maybe in the future the city has a really strong historical society, that holds tight sway over places like the castle/stronghold only allowing minor alterations. Sorry I know that is kind of off topic but it's fun to theorize 🤔

Blog Entries

Mouse, J.E, Everyone... Shall I move us to the new Sub Forum home ???

I'm fine with it

Page 21 of 51 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast