Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Wörld of Metal

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Wip [WIP] Wörld of Metal

Greetings, fellow cartographers!

It's been a while! I don't think a whole lot of you would even remember me but I've been semi-active in this beautiful forum a few years ago. At some point, however, life "happened" and I didn't have much time to continue with my cartography, hence my absence. But right now I finally do have some time at hand so I thought it would be a good opportunity to dive back in and create a fun little map to get me back on track. Truth is I've become more than just a little rusty.

Alright, here goes. Since I'm a huge metal head I've come up with the idea of a heavy metal-inspired map. For those of you who don't know: The umlaut in the title is not a typo but a so-called metal umlaut. My plan is to fill the whole map with a lot of metal references, for example having countries resemble some of the major metal genres and the cities and other places named after bands or songs. I hope I don't commit copyright infringements by doing so. This is just for fun, after all, but to avoid trouble I might alter the names to the point where it's different but still recognizable (ie. Metallicania instead of Metallica). Anyhow, the landmass is obviously shaped like a guitar. For reference, this is the base picture. And since there isn't much to see yet, I'll keep the preview somewhat small. The original is 4500px by 3000px. Oh, and I work with GIMP, by the way.

But enough talk, let's get started.

This should be fun! ^^

Regards,

~~Rongar

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wörld of Metal_preview.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	91891

This looks like a lot of fun! Great start with the land shape.

Watching with interest.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Thank you, ChickPea!

I've made some small changes to the land shape, though, to make it more believable. I mean, it's still obvious but a little less so. I've also added a larger island in the shape of a skull. All in all I think it looks much better, how about you? Critique and suggestions are always very welcome!

Other stuff added:

- a first draft for a border (leather bracelet with rivets), with a small patch missing on each side (the rivets didn't match up properly there )
    - a compass rose shaped like a pentagram, pointing South instead of North
    - a rough sketch for a sign with the name of the map (I might mirror the skeletons to look away from each other, not sure yet)
    - a few labels to experiment with fonts and the layout of the kingdoms
    - a basic parchment texture for the landmass
    - a black outline and a white-ish glow for the landmass

Oh yeah, and I had to make the canvas larger. The landmass is rather small due to its' shape and I didn't feel like I had enough space to add mountains 'n text and stuff so I've enlarged it all to ~6000x4000 px. For the sake of comparison I'll shrink it down to a size similar to the first WIP (2000x1347) - there isn't much detail yet anyway.

Regards,

~~Rongar

Name:	Wörld of Metal3_preview.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	91940

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

LOL! This is great. I'm not even a metalhead and I love it.

Haha, thanks Diamond. Glad to hear that.

Alright, new WIP. I didn't get much done, sadly, but "not much" is still better than nothing, amirite?

- resized the landmass to fit the canvas entirely, lost a small island in the process, but that's alright
    - added a cheesy as hell lore paragraph (hey, metal is cheesy as hell )
    - reworked the border a bit (still not final)
    - added test mountains and test forests (only one is more or less complete. I'm not sure if I wanna continue in that style, though, as I've never done it before. Will see how it plays out)
    - added ripples or water waves (or whatever it's called)

Will post full size this time, but it's already pretty heavy so I had to reduce the quality a bit to fit the maximum file size.

Critique welcome! Thank you!

Name:	Wörld of Metal4_preview.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	9.41 MB 
ID:	92051

PS: I'll credit everyone for the brushes and stuff I've used after I finished the map. Like I said, almost everything is subject to change.

Nice update. I think it looks much better with the empty areas cropped out. I was wondering how you were going to fill them, but this focuses the eye entirely on the land masses, and it's a big improvement.

I like your lore, but I'm not sold on the font you've used. I could see it on a wedding invitation maybe, but it feels too delicate for the metal theme. It's a little incongruous with the studded border, IMO. If you're stuck for font ideas, check out dafont.com (if you're not already aware of this site).

Fonts aside, the map's looking great! I like where you're going with it.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Really cool concept Rongar! Love what you have so far, cheesy "hin oder her" I agree with Chickpea, that you could use a more readable (though cheesy/metaly enough) font for the lore text. Also, i miss the "moshpit" as a landmark and the "Island of wimps and posers" XD Keep up the great work!
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

I'm with ChickPea and Abu. You have some beautiful colours in there

Haha, great idea. I like what you've got so far! There's lots of great details and I love the compass! Your forests and mountains are very good, though I think the forests look a little flat right now.

-Dan

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Well, who would have thought that using a guitar shape as the basis for a map would actually work so pretty darn well?

I agree with Daniel on the forests looking a bit flat, but otherwise it's got a pretty nice style to it already. Keeping rocking on with it!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast