Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Guildcity - Tell me your preference for Section number

I really don't mind what I map next. I'm hoping that John already has a secret plan up his sleeve about whether we progress towards surface completion or detailing what we already have.

All this of course is after I manage to work out the orphanage and draw it. I've seen some pretty swift action at the colouring stage on quite a few PS maps before now, so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if I wasn't 'first done' over the next few days

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Oh cool, this project is new and active. I would like to throw my hat in for plots

33, 50, 51

Hi Southern Crane! Welcome to the City Building Team

District 33 is yours.

If you go over to the Main Index you can pick up your base map and light ray, and get started as soon as you like.

Apart from the info contained in the main index there is also a FAQ thread and a reference image thread for further information about where the city is, and what it might look like.

If you have any further questions please just ask

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I would very much like to see another one of your beautiful map Mouse !
    Don't hesitate to take another district !

LOL! Thanks Jo

I think everyone who wants one should be allowed to do a second district once they've finished the first one, but I'll wait for others to have their say, and see what John has in mind

If there's a sudden rush of new interest at any point and not enough space to go around because some of the original participants have done more than one district, we can always make the city bigger and/or give it satellite towns - like John said.

I would say the best way to approach it perhaps would be to either have everyone who does a second section to pick one further out....
    or maybe to get all of the city inside sections done.... not sure which is best.

I can always draw up some further sections if we need more... or even some little special out of town spots...
    like maybe little sections along the road outside of the city where there might be a shrine or something.
    I'm open to suggestions and what all people might want to do.

I missed a bit over this week as I have been occupied with work, but I'll try to monitor this and see what people want to do.
    Mouse - I am ok with you doing any additional section you want, though we should decide how we will proceed for everyone.

EDIT - Oh, and I'll do the map and list for Southern Crane when i can.
    Last edited by J.Edward; 01-27-2017 at 03:14 PM.

Right at the moment I'm working on a new set of textures - limestone paved areas and so on (for the orphanage) - and its crippling the speed of my laptop, so the map isn't even open right now (or something would almost certainly crash). Finishing Atlas Ward might take me longer than the rest of you expect it to take, so I'm quite happy to wait and see what people have to say

I agree about trying to get the heart of the city mapped, but I'm not sure it would be a terribly good idea for me (or anyone) to chose a section that is adjacent to the one they have just finished. The variability between adjacent sections is part of the charm and beauty of the map we are making. I would make an effort to do a second section in a different style, but you would still be able to tell it was one of mine if it was right next door to the first one.

Personally I'd like to see the inner parts mapped, at least everything within the wall. It wouldn't make sense for it not to be contiguous if there's a wall around it.

I've been thinking about the evolution of a city. It would be beneficial to have a tavern or something on the road into a city, a resting place for traveling traders. Far enough away to be of benefit of course - perhaps to catch those arriving around curfew time. On the way out it would be people selling goods and supplies for on the road, but it would be cheaper than in the city. It would have to be for the incentive to buy. The further out along the spokes the less costly the goods and services. Of course the less law and order so you takes your risks. Some areas along the road would 'balloon' faster than others and may expand enough to meet other expanding bits. I think a city, from the hub outwards, evolves not in a linear fashion from the centre but in a sort of concentric circle of sorts of different settlements that gradually merge into each other.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I would say the best way to approach it perhaps would be to either have everyone who does a second section to pick one further out....
    or maybe to get all of the city inside sections done.... not sure which is best.

I can always draw up some further sections if we need more... or even some little special out of town spots...
    like maybe little sections along the road outside of the city where there might be a shrine or something.
    I'm open to suggestions and what all people might want to do.

I missed a bit over this week as I have been occupied with work, but I'll try to monitor this and see what people want to do.
    Mouse - I am ok with you doing any additional section you want, though we should decide how we will proceed for everyone.

EDIT - Oh, and I'll do the map and list for Southern Crane when i can.

Which map and list do you have to do?

I downloaded the base map from the 31-40 zip file. Is there another file I need?

Hey Southern Crane

J.Edward is talking about the records he keeps to show who is doing what district. Its the map that shows the districts and names the people mapping them. He will put your name on that map as soon as he has time to do so. You don't have to do anything else.

The base map for your district will be inside that zip folder you downloaded. J.Edward recommends enlarging it 4 x to work on it comfortably so that you aren't struggling against everything being a bit too tiny, and then probably reducing the renders a bit to upload them to your WIP thread when you start one.

If you need to know how to start your WIP thread I put all the details in the FAQ Thread (the link to which is in my signature below), and if you just want to look at all the threads that are already in progress to see how other people have presented their work, you can see them all here

Don't worry if you make a mistake. Most things can be put right without too much trouble, and in any case you wouldn't be the first

Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast