Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Hi Kacey

The map is looking as beautiful as ever, despite the green line.

I'm assuming you mean the very very pale green haze at the bottom of the image? I've no idea what it might be, but how did you fix it all those other times. Surely it wasn't necessary to replace the background texture several times?

I don't use PS, and I'm only a GIMP novice, but in CC3 I would start by switching off all the sheet effects, which I think would be equivalent to making a copy and deleting all the effects - shadows, bevels etc. That probably is nowhere near as easy in PS as it is in CC3, so I guess the next best thing is hiding the layers one at a time - which I guess you have already tried anyway, which is how you know its something to do with the parchment layer?

What kind of effects do you have on that layer?

(and here I have to apologise for the fact that I'm going out right away after writing this comment so I may be some time in getting back to you, even if you respond in only a few minutes - but maybe it will get the ball rolling for someone else to figure it out )

The map is looking great. That line is pretty weird though. Have you gone through the layers one by one to see if it really is just on the parchment layer? Perhaps try deleting that layer entirely (not just the image on it) and then redo it (unless that is already what you've done)? Alternatively you could try making a new file and then moving all the layers over one by one, although that seems like it would be super laborious. To me that line looks like it is a layer in itself, since it looks like its under the border, perhaps you've got a layer that is cropped to that area and is adding an effect to the parchment. Have you tried replacing the parchment with a different parchment file?

Still looking great !
    About those lines, it could be either a result of an effect layer with the others, or maybe a thing you missed when correcting it (I mean, have you checked your past saves?). Sometimes, I think I have corrected a thing, but I miss a corner or border stuff, and sometimes, I didn't actually save the corrections, so it keeps coming.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hi Kacey

The map is looking as beautiful as ever, despite the green line.

I'm assuming you mean the very very pale green haze at the bottom of the image? I've no idea what it might be, but how did you fix it all those other times. Surely it wasn't necessary to replace the background texture several times?

I don't use PS, and I'm only a GIMP novice, but in CC3 I would start by switching off all the sheet effects, which I think would be equivalent to making a copy and deleting all the effects - shadows, bevels etc. That probably is nowhere near as easy in PS as it is in CC3, so I guess the next best thing is hiding the layers one at a time - which I guess you have already tried anyway, which is how you know its something to do with the parchment layer?

What kind of effects do you have on that layer?

(and here I have to apologise for the fact that I'm going out right away after writing this comment so I may be some time in getting back to you, even if you respond in only a few minutes - but maybe it will get the ball rolling for someone else to figure it out )
    Thanks Mouse, and yes I did replace the background texture several times, it's very annoying, but it fixes the problem until I save it again, I don't have any effects on that layer, and it's at the very bottom of the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    The map is looking great. That line is pretty weird though. Have you gone through the layers one by one to see if it really is just on the parchment layer? Perhaps try deleting that layer entirely (not just the image on it) and then redo it (unless that is already what you've done)? Alternatively you could try making a new file and then moving all the layers over one by one, although that seems like it would be super laborious. To me that line looks like it is a layer in itself, since it looks like its under the border, perhaps you've got a layer that is cropped to that area and is adding an effect to the parchment. Have you tried replacing the parchment with a different parchment file?
    Thanks Falconius, the line is definitely weird I've never had anything like this happen before, and I've used this texture several times. I turned off all the layers one, by one to find the problem, and it's definitely the texture layer, I can even clone it out on that layer, and it fixes it that way too, but it keeps coming back, maybe the file is corrupted some how idk. I thought about making a new document, and moving all the layers like you sad, but I'm hoping to avoid it, it would be a real pain to line it all back up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Still looking great !
    About those lines, it could be either a result of an effect layer with the others, or maybe a thing you missed when correcting it (I mean, have you checked your past saves?). Sometimes, I think I have corrected a thing, but I miss a corner or border stuff, and sometimes, I didn't actually save the corrections, so it keeps coming.
    Thanks Ilanthar, I've saved, and saved, and saved again, and turned off all the layers except that one, and it's still there, and if I keep all the other layers on, and turn off just the background layer then it disappears...I don't know why it keeps coming back, I guess it will remain a mystery.

Good news is I'm able to correct it, and save it as a jpeg to post here, it's just that when I save the psd and go to work on it again it will be back. I think I'll just leave it for now, and when I'm totally finished the map I'll fix it for the final jpeg version... It's annoying, but it's not the end of the world.

Can you create a brand new file in PS of exactly the same dimensions and then 'open as layers' the old file into it - preserving all the layers just exactly as they are in the old file, but in essence giving it a brand new file? You can do it in GIMP... I, er, had to rescue one of my background versions that way!

I don't know if its possible in PS, but if you can, then maybe it would get rid of whatever that green thingummy is?

Kacey - if you are dragging layers from one document to another, and you want all layers to be aligned just the same, select all layers to be moved, left click on them and hold to drag them and before dragging hold shift, then drag them to the new document. They will retain their original alignment. I do this all the time.

As to you layer problem - that is really weird.
    I feel like something must be occurring that you are not aware of but what that would be - idk.
    Maybe next time place that texture layer one level above a plain white background layer and then lock the texture layer.
    Would be interesting to see if that changed things.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    Kacey - if you are dragging layers from one document to another, and you want all layers to be aligned just the same, select all layers to be moved, left click on them and hold to drag them and before dragging hold shift, then drag them to the new document. They will retain their original alignment. I do this all the time.

As to you layer problem - that is really weird.
    I feel like something must be occurring that you are not aware of but what that would be - idk.
    Maybe next time place that texture layer one level above a plain white background layer and then lock the texture layer.
    Would be interesting to see if that changed things.
    Thanks J. I think this is the single most useful bit of advice I've ever received here at the forum. I've been cursing photoshop for years over moving layers in there original alignment, and the answer was so simple...You've just made my life a whole lot easier.

You are totally welcome Kacey
    I have been in those same shoes too
    Various people have shared things with me and left me saying the same thing.

Guild Expert

I posted this guy over at zbrush central, but really I made him with Guild City in mind so I thought I'd share him here too.

He is one of the many failed experiments out of the military research facilities genetics department, but in attempting to create stronger soldiers they've only managed to come up with this strange goat man who is completely blind. He looks a little perturbed because he's been in processing for several hours.

Because of his gentle nature he's being released to the Sanctuary, I've saved a corner of the map for it, and have some ideas for another character who runs the sanctuary, it's a place where failed experiments who aren't dangerouse can live out the rest of there lives after years of testing in the lab.

This is my first 3D experiment so it's not where I'd like it to be, I really made a mess of the fibre mesh hair, I'll try to do better on the next one, I just picked up a copy of Keyshot so I'm excited to try out that program too.

I hope it's ok to post this here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BPR_Render composit final jpg.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	881.3 KB 
ID:	93853

OMG! Is this what you're doing with my poor little orphans?

What an amazing piece of art! I'd say it was perfectly relevant as 'supporting material'

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast