Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Oh wow, that's awesome, kacey! Actually, it's kinda awesomely terrifying!! The skin texture and individual hairs are so well done.

I'm trying to figure out which Guild member this is....
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Probably me on one of my dopey days (which is more often than I'd like to think!) LOL!

Guild Expert

Thanks guy's I'm glad you like it, and don't worry Mouse it's not you lol, tho I did think about making one with some crazy Einstein hair I didn't base this on any guild members just wanted to make some weird genetic experiments for the researchers in District 13.

That's really great!

It's quite impressive! One more reason that gives me the itch to develop some 3D skills.

I've been trying out zbrush and OMG it makes me want to slam my head into the desk. I just don't get it. The problem is that I can tell it is super suited to sculpting when ever I manage to get it working. Did you have certain tutorial path to follow, or any recommendations?

( I swear to God, I can't even open a new file without loading some project from lightbox (which is a whole 'nother thing I don't get))

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    It's quite impressive! One more reason that gives me the itch to develop some 3D skills.
    So sorry Ilanthar, I thought I was doing ok with keeping up around here but apparently I'm not, and I only just saw this comment today, I apologize for the late response... and thank you very much! Though I'm a little baffled because you already have crazy awesome 3D skills, infact you're sketchup maps are what prompted me to start looking into 3D more actively because I wanted to do my section of the city like yours. Apparently I have allot more learning to do, I still haven't figured out how to do buildings yet, and I'm finding the organic modeling to be allot easier then hard surface.

Guild Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    I've been trying out zbrush and OMG it makes me want to slam my head into the desk. I just don't get it. The problem is that I can tell it is super suited to sculpting when ever I manage to get it working. Did you have certain tutorial path to follow, or any recommendations?

( I swear to God, I can't even open a new file without loading some project from lightbox (which is a whole 'nother thing I don't get))
    I can feel you're pain, and so can my desk...I found it really hard to get started with zbrush, the interface is extremely difficult to learn, but once you learn it you'll see that it's not all that bad, and things will become routine. I spent an entire month trying to figure out how to sculpt on a sphere, every time I tried to sculpt on it I just got another sphere, it was the stupidest thing but I just couldn't figure it out. It turns out it was really simple, and once I got past that hurdle I was able to start playing around with some of the brushes...I literally made blobs of all different shapes and sizes for the first while.

If you want to start without using lightbox just press the lightbox tab just above it and it should close the box, you can start from here or if you want to create a new document just hit document, new document, you can also change the size from this menu.
    From there you can start with whatever shape you want from the simple brush pallet, it's a big gold S on the right hand side.
    Pick a shape, and drag it onto the canvas.... This is where I had problems, when I would go to draw on it, usually a simple sphere I would just get more spheres, or it wouldn't work at all, which is where the damage to my desk came in.
    If this happens to you, and it will from time to time, simply press CNTRL N to clear the canvas, then drag out a new shape.
    After you have the shape dragged out, it doesn't matter what size, press the edit button, it's near the lightbox tab, top left just above the canvas, and you should be able to position the shape with the controls to the bottom right of the canvas. The controls on the top right side of the canvas control the canvas itself, the ones on the bottom right control the model...I found this frustrating at first because I didn't know how to zoom in and out properly.

After that press make polymesh 3D in the top right corner, and you can start playing around with the brushes...I hope that made sense.

If you're getting multiple shapes of the same thing, press the edit button, and if you can't draw on it at all try the make polymesh 3D button.

The tutorials that pixologic puts out are pretty good, and there is tonnes of stuff on YouTube.

I'd recommend learning all you can about subtools, just punch it in to YouTube you'll find loads of videos, and dynamesh to start off, also look up some tutorials on masking, these are just very basic things that you'll use all the time. It's also worth you'll while to learn about poly groups. I can't really point out specific videos because I watched so many. Every day I find out that zbrush can do more, and more things I didn't know about.

Pixologic puts out a series called ask zbrush you can find it on YouTube too, it answer allot of questions, and I found it really helpful.

Sorry that response is so sloppily written, but I hope it helps, learn the basics first, I tried to learn hard surface modeling right away because that's what I wanted to do, but didn't learn anything until I went through the beginner videos first.

And remember I'm new to this too, so take what I say with a grain of salt, I still have ALLOT to learn.

These videos should help you understand some very basic concepts...

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/course/getting-started

Check this page too

http://pixologic.com/zclassroom/work...h-introduction

Actually that helps a lot. Thanks so much for taking the time to write. And yes getting 50 billion spheres while trying to model was a huge part of the frustration lol. I didn't realize to push the edit button, I thought the "make 3d mesh" button was all I needed to press.

The navigation is a real pain for me, but I also found that Blenders navigation was painful at first too and now that I'm used to it I actually kind of like it, so I'm hoping I'll get the same with zBrush.

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast