Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 13 - District 13 [Kacey]

Guild Expert

I'm glad to hear I didn't confuse you Mouse

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Wow Kacey, this is fantastic! I have to say that I think the sketch work you are doing here needs to be preserved in the Castle grounds, just like J.Edwards original City Design document

This really is an awesome job. And thank you by the way for telling us how you did it with photoshop. Do you mind if I try to duplicate your techniques in CC3+ in a different map I have planned for a different project? I would love to see if CC3+ can do this too, without resorting to pre made art.

Guild Expert

Thanks Tonnichiwa, go nut's with CC3, I'd be interested in seeing if it works.

Cool. I'll start testing and see what happens. I've still got to figure out how I want to draw my own part of this city so I'm not rushing things on my map just yet.

Ok, so the only reason I am posting this on your section is because you wanted to see if CC3+ could do it. The answer is yes, it can. This is a dome I made using nothing but the circle drawing tool and messing around with the photoshop style effects of CC3. Things had to be done a bit differently because of the way CC3 is programmed but effectively I was able to get it done.

So I pulled a symbol of a house to put the dome on to see if it actually looked like a dome. It did, but I thought it needed more. So I pulled another house that had a dome on it already, made the dome I had slightly transparent so that the lines on the dome on the house would show through, then placed my dome over the top.

And this is the result.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	City photoshop trial.PNG 
Views:	19 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	91246  

Guild Expert

That's awesome Tonnichiwa, I'm glad it worked out for you, and the building looks great.

Guild Expert

I started doing one of the tower rooftops for the main university. I'm not so sure about this one, there starting to look a little like bugs idk. I actually had quite a bit of trouble matching the style, stupidly I forgot to save the colour swatch for the windows, and I like the colour of the library ones better.

I'm thinking it might be wise of me to do all the bases, and lines first, and then do all the shading for the whole city in one pass, and then colour... it gets boring doing things that way tho, it reminds me a little of doing mountains, and is taking just as long... This rooftop took about two hours so far. I don't know how I'll ever get through all the buildings, there's got to be a faster way...I may redo this one... Let me know what you think.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Guild City District 13 library test.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	7.45 MB 
ID:	91259

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I'm not so sure about this one, there starting to look a little like bugs idk.
    I think this is why i like them so much. Seriously, i think these rooftops are looking brilliant Kacey, every building is like a little piece of art! The painterly render is just stunning and it would be unbelievably cool to see the whole district done that way, but i can understand that working two hours on one roof is a bit much. I think the idea to do them all step by step is wise indeed and maybe the best solution. Perhaps you could try it with one complex of buildings first? Hope you get not bored in the progress, because i can assure you, looking at the result is anything but boring! Keep up the wonderful work.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Got to agree with Abu on this one, Kacey. Those rooftops are gorgeous and just imagining the whole piece in that style, I think it would look stunning.

Kacey's army of bugs...

In all seriousness though, it's looking great... And they don't really look like bugs.

Kacey - these are gorgeous.
    My section is gonna look all dull roofed by comparison - just plain old roof tiles.

I think the new one looks maybe even better than the previous ones.
    They are all so wonderful though. This is gonna be so awesome.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast