Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: 11 - Plaza and transmission center [- JO -]

Oh but Jo... this is just absolutely beautiful!

Are you like me, in that I get a kick when I add a shadow and 'pop' - up shoots the building out of nowhere? Its almost like therapy after a day when nothing else goes right!

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Yes, you're absolutely right ! It's like the building comes to life when you draw the shadow...

It's really funny to see the difference between buildings that have a shadow, and those that do not have one yet ... It's like putting pawns on a board game. It is a good time to pass, but I must say that it takes really a long time ... In addition, I made buildings very complicated, with many angles and different heights, which requires good reflection before each drawing, knowing that there will inevitably be mistakes in the end ... It is a very nice process, but takes a lot of time. You just have to keep courage until you get to the end.
    With CC3, it's still more fun: we put the buildings and, all of a sudden, everything becomes alive, just by clicking on the activation of the effects! (It is true that it also requires a lot of work in preparing the effects).
    Now I'm looking forward to getting to the end of the shadows, because I still have two-three ideas for the finishes of the map (the one that will go in finished maps): I would draw the large tower in half opacity and in perspective and then I would also like to add all the symbols and their meaning (like the alphabet flags for the navy), with a beautiful border ... ideas, ideas, ideas.... but so little time...

LOL! You don't like making things easy for yourself, do you!

What is beautiful now, though, will become gorgeous with all that additional work

More shadows... nearly all the western part...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	District 11 WIP 16.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	7.49 MB 
ID:	92593

I can hardly wait for the shadows to go on the plaza!

Looking great, Jo

I'll probably do the plaza and the tower last...

At least, your map is moving ! Mine is just freezed... and may stay like this for a while . It's looking good, and I love the little harbor zone .

Thanks Ilanthar... but at least your other maps are moving forward !

I've just finished the northern quarter...
    Now, the eastern one, and I want to add some palm trees, some fountains, some chimney and some tracks on the muddy streets..

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	District 11 WIP 17.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	7.42 MB 
ID:	92758

Its looking brilliant, Jo

You might be able to save a bit of time with the shadows by putting the shadow of the hill in first, since that may shade some of the buildings, which you then won't have to add a shadow to - because they will then be in the shade.

That's the theory anyway, though you might want to add a vague darkening in the approximate area where a shadow would fall if it was in the sunlight, just to give it the 3D feel

You are absolutely right ! I'll do the signal tower on the hill before the plaza, but I'll finish the houses first, on the eastern quarter...

The fact is that I realised 2 weeks ago that all the building that are near the eastern and southern border will have their shadows cut on the full map...

I was'nt paying attention when I placed the plaza and the walls... so, bit of thoses buildings were outside my border and cut off on the full map. So I spent some time to move them north and west (and that wasn't easy, I had to erase some buildings and terrains details), and now all the buildings are OK on the full map.... But again, I wasn't thinking very far... because I didn't move them enough in order that the shadows would be inside the border.

I realised that after having drawn the shadows of the western quarter... and I decided that I wouldn't move those buildings again. Too much work, and I think I used all the "free" spaces I had to move them the first time.
    The shadows will be cut on the full map, but I'll have them uncut on my final map.

That's a lesson I will learn for the future...

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 LastLast