Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 11 - Plaza and transmission center [- JO -]

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Thanks ! And no problems... you have a full plate with the treasure map !
    I'll have to start it soon as I have another treasure map to draw ...

Wow this has developed in a rapid and impressive way. Splendid work JO

Oooo - I can't wait to see the shading and colouring

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I can't wait too... so a quick test of colors for the cliffs... and the stones (Karst is not so easy... I tried to make those flat stones that appears amongst the weed)
    I chose a sand-ish color, to make it look more "south"
    Tell me what you think...

### LATEST WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	District 11 WIP 09.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	8.42 MB 
ID:	91577

I've been having a spot of bother with the colour of the stone as well, and I even have a great big chunk of it called Portland to stare at just a couple of miles down the road, but that looks just about right for the way limestone would look in a tropical area.

I also like the rough texture you've given it. More 'stony'

Yeah... i know... I might do the color all over again, with grey stone (Karst is grey, isn't it ?)... But then, the whole picture would look "sad", don't you think ?
    I've chosen this color regarding your map too : i like the colors of the stone in your district...
    I don't know yet...

The colour of the stone is going to be one of those things that will vary considerably from zone to zone, and people who live in temperate climates (like me) will have a comparatively difficult job with it because limestone in cold wet countries looks very different to limestone in warm dry ones. For a start, Portland looks grey because the stone is mostly covered in a layer of black and grey lichens, and the sun is never so intense to make it look creamy, except where it has been freshly broken open. These lichens are nowhere near as numerous or extensive in areas that are hot and dry

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to turn yours grey. I like it the way it is, and the same piece of stone can look completely different depending on the light of the day, and the time of the day. This is a shot of a piece being worked in a local quarry - fresh cut, and seen in the light of a northern temperate day.

Name:	Albion Stone Quarry on Portland.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	116.0 KB 
ID:	91582

And here is what the stone looks like in its natural setting, from which you can see it really does depend on the quality of the light, and the time of the day. But notice how neither of them could be said to be grey - more cream and fawn than grey

Name:	Portland Bill.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	77.7 KB 
ID:	91583

(notice how the stone has gone yellow with the salt of the ocean. All limestones are different, and react in different ways to different weathering, so basically you have a free hand to depict it whatever shade of white you wish )
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-21-2017 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks for the informations ! And the photographs !!!
    You're right... the limestone does look more brown... So my instinct was not so wrong !
    I'll keep that color, then... And enjoy coloring the rest of the ground !

I just found you another two of exactly the same place taken in different lights - a better illustration of what I was talking about with the light. Limestone is very reflective, and 'takes the light of the day', as my dad used to say

Name:	Cheddar2.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	307.2 KB 
ID:	91585Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cheddar1.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	91586

This is the very famous Cheddar Gorge, about 50 miles north of where I live.

EDIT: And don't forget that these are both sets of images that are taken in a comparatively northern position on the Earth. The light here is much weaker than around the equator where Guild City is sited, so the stone will look if anything even more white and cream,
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-21-2017 at 08:43 AM.

That's maybe because of the white balance on the camera : if it's sunny or in the shadows, all the colors on the photographs are really different. When it's your own eyes, the brain make the correction.

Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast