Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Wip 40 - Dreamscape Tower and Market District [Dark Infinity]

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 40 Idea 1-1.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	91010

Like most of my work this will eventually be done in pencil... yeah I'm crazy... I may try and clean it up in paint.net and give it a transparent background or something, but trust me it will work out. I think... at least I have a plan to make it work (and get everything to line up)

Anyway, Points of interest:
    Dreamscape Tower - This is where those magicians of Adobe, Gimp, etc. Work their magic to produce some of the most realistically gorgeous maps.

The road was even moved for the construction of this tower, everything had to be in perfect alignment for these fine mages to work their magic. (I'm toying with the idea of having some of the old path still show...)

Around the tower is the richer part of town, the businessmen and aristocrats in their luxurious homes. And a town hall.

Outside of that will be some less than luxurious areas, smaller homes, maybe a blacksmith, some warehouses, a tavern or 3... maybe some farms... still working out the details there.

Around the Intersections of the roads will be the markets. Selling the finest trinkets and magical items this side of district 1.

Down at the bottom of the cliffs will be the outcasts from the towers, they turned to the dark arts. And as fate would have it, they are in a perfect place to claim some, will say lost treasures and other things that have come over the waterfall from district 44.

On the northern side of the falls, there is a cliff-side road, path more likely, It's shorter than going around district 39 (I think that is what's up there I will double check), but a little more treacherous. I'm wondering if that should have a large stone stairway leading back up the cliff, or a rope ladder... we shall see what develops.

I need to do something sinister with the pool there too. It needs a good name, and backstory, mostly about all the stuff coming from section 44...(Sorry Diamond, your setup over there played perfectly into my plans over here.)

Neighbors

39 - Engineering & Power District (Snodsy)

41 - The Old Cartographers' Guild Hall and Administrative Quarter [Robbie]

43 - The Laug Inn and the Ree Members [WarliN]

44 - The Precincts of the Dead [Diamond]

49 - The Botanical Gardens [Zhar2]
    Last edited by DarkInfinity; 01-16-2017 at 11:26 AM.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Looks like this one is going to be a lot of work for you but it definitely looks fun! I like the stuff coming over the waterfall idea and the necromancers just waiting to get their hands on floating body parts.

Nice start Dark - like the story line. You have lots to work around, nice job!

I'm your neighbor on the south side of the Lake (mostly just the shoreline, but I control the outflow of the lake into a subterranean river.) Looking forward to your naming of the Lake, I'll take my lead somewhat from that. I'll be putting in a Bridge/Dam at that outflow junction. So I guess I might be dealing with those outcasts from the Dark Arts landing on my shores! I'll maybe have to put in some precautions. I'll be posting my initial outline later this week (District 39). Thanks for the start and I'll be watching closely

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Nice start Dark - like the story line. You have lots to work around, nice job!

I'm your neighbor on the south side of the Lake (mostly just the shoreline, but I control the outflow of the lake into a subterranean river.) Looking forward to your naming of the Lake, I'll take my lead somewhat from that. I'll be putting in a Bridge/Dam at that outflow junction. So I guess I might be dealing with those outcasts from the Dark Arts landing on my shores! I'll maybe have to put in some precautions.
    Howdy neighbor, Yeah good luck with the run off, by the time it gets to you, after Diamond's guys toss what they don't want, and my guys take what they want, there is going to be slim pickens, probably a lot of little fingers and little toes. Why do we always get extra's of those. What are they doing over there in 44?

They take all the arms and legs to pay for the real estate up in the more central areas.

Great idea for your district DarkInfinity! I'm wondering what stories the "Adobe and Gimp Magicians" would tell each other about their "fallen brothers and sisters"... "you know, once she was an aspiring and skillfull fantasy cartographer, but now she's doing her maps solely with Inkarnate(tm) ... what a shame!"
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Here is where I have set my bar... for better or worse...

Apparently you can get a simple image like this printed out as a 'blueprint' at office max for about $1.79...

Name:	20170110_234334.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.18 MB 
ID:	91085

I have a roll of paper (which conveniently matches the width of the blueprint paper 18") and it is just thin enough to see some of the darker lines. So I have my outline and roads marked off.

I'll do some more planning in paint.net before I get too carried away on the paper. But, in case anyone was wondering about the scale I am planning on working with...

Name:	20170111_000058.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	91086

It's kind of nerve racking and exciting all at the same time. I did say I was going big or going home right?

Depending on how this turn out, this may go on my wall...

Here are my Plans for the Tower:

Name:	2017-01-11 13.03.07.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.37 MB 
ID:	91130

This way, from the top down I get this for what it could look like on the map.

Name:	2017-01-11 13.03.45.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	91131

Each tower will have it's own school of focus, City mapping, landscape, waterways, caves and buildings, and the center tower is reserved for those bold enough to dabble in the full world mapping. (it sounded good in my head...)
    Last edited by DarkInfinity; 01-11-2017 at 01:11 PM.

Guild Expert

I like you're plan for the tower, you certainly have some work cut out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I like you're plan for the tower, you certainly have some work cut out for you.
    I just hope I can live up to the standard here. There are some real wizards here with many, many talents.

But, I've been needing a good side project to dive into for a while now. And this gives me a chance to try something new and expand my talents. So it's a win win for me. But yeah... this is one of the biggest projects I've jumped in on...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast