Thread: [WIP] Daxtera - World Map

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip [WIP] Daxtera - World Map

Starting work on a world map for my D&D game, for which I previously posted a city map WIP in another thread.

Software: I'm normally an Adobe guy but I wanted to try the GIMP/Wilbur tutorial that's so popular here. Ran into a few issues with Wilbur getting it to do what I wanted (particularly with river creation) so I ended up taking what I had so far and pulling it into Photosohp and just started messing with layers, blending, colors, etc. - I would actually have a hard time telling you how I got the map to this point in a step by step manner.

I will say though that for the outline creation, I was able to make some improvements on the Hard mix process in Photoshop that's not as destructive and allows for a really easy time getting everything exactly how you want it.

Current nitpicks of my own:
    - River placement isn't very realistic (some of this I painted myself into a corner with past storyline decisions, oh well)
    - Not happy with the land colors yet
    - I want to add forests to the map but the scale is going to make it look bizarre, most likely
    - This doesn't feel like enough mountain ranges

Anyways, C&C is appreciated, and I'll be posting more as I finish up the geography and begin labeling. Native res is 2800x2800, I'll post a full size version once I've reached the finished product.

(Update: it's done! I posted the finished map here.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	worldmap_ctg.png 
Views:	149 
Size:	732.4 KB 
ID:	91226

UPDATE 2: I'm doing more work on this for a new purpose. Latest WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E86RJpI.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	809.2 KB 
ID:	109009
    Last edited by Dumont; 07-28-2018 at 11:59 PM.