Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 41 - The Old Cartographers' Guild Hall and Administrative Quarter [Robbie]

Trees can be a bit of a pain. I think GLS is going to have to take a chainsaw to some of mine. I've drawn them in a bit from the perimeter, so that we don't end up with any weird looking half-trees

I just added part of your section to mine as well, Robbie, to reference as I draw.

And.... Jesus, holy compass, that's huge
    As for the trees overlapping, it's not just fine, it's perfect. And I bet I suck as much as you do in drawing trees, let's not damage both our reputations by starting some competition

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, it's a big beautiful building, lol. I'll be updating the 3d model to match it and probably rendering out a scene of I get the opportunity to.

For trees, we'll figure something out. I'll just assume there's trees down there and if we decide on any pathways we can coordinate that later.

I also need to add DarkInfinitys section to my map so I can make sure we match ok.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Blog Entries

still just fooling around for the most part. Tried my hand at hand drawing some buildings even. Added some texture and some shadow...still early though.

This time its a png with transparency for the trees if that helps RedRobes with integration...if not I'll stick to jpg. Pixie you can also use my trees...i just found a tree brush and set angle, size, and spacing scatter.

Thoughts?

Edit: I wanted to mention even though I've masked out my border, my final piece will also be a regular map with border and legend and cartouche and such.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 41 draft3.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	7.26 MB 
ID:	91345
    Last edited by Robbie; 01-15-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Wow this is look really nice, do you see your district overlooking mine? I'll have mostly residential building and a college bumping up against you. I'll update shortly. Nice job!

Blog Entries

I dont need transparency and I would flatten it to JPG like anyway. Your on the big map Robbie. I made up the mask and so if you keep the same size image then I can update it easily with the massk image I have for your sector.

BTW - your map is looking good !

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Wow this is look really nice, do you see your district overlooking mine? I'll have mostly residential building and a college bumping up against you. I'll update shortly. Nice job!
    I believe I'll be overlooking your pumping stations so I'll probably make an overlook there.. In 41 now so I'm one of your northern neighbors instead. If you want to remove those trees from the edge of the cliff overlooking the pumping stations I'll put some kind of overlook. I imagine people would love to see it instead of hide it behind a tree line.

Thanks for the compliment redrobes. I only did transparency for the trees but perhaps we can come up with a better solution for blending tree lines. I'm open to suggestions. Even if it involves working with my neighbors to share snippets. I'm working at 400% of what I'm posting, so I can send higher resolution for the final map if needed. I scale it down on export to the same size as the section image j.edward sent me.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Last edited by Robbie; 01-15-2017 at 07:17 PM.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected DarkInfinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie View Post
    I also need to add DarkInfinitys section to my map so I can make sure we match ok.
    Our entire border is a road so it shouldn't bee too bad. I can always add some trees to match up with where you have trees. I just have a farm setup over there in the middle the rest are going to be residential areas.

If there is anything you want to throw in that might overlap just let me know. I don't have a set plan yet, so I can work with it.
    "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." ~ Lao Tzu

Hey Robbie, it's me again.

We share a really big border and the southern half of it is bugging me a little. Most of it is a north-south road, with roads leading to it on both sides. This implies (to my eyes) a certain level of urban density. So, since that area is blank on both our drafts and we both plan leafy broad expanses on our north sides, I would like to propose this:

Name:	roadschange.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	91406

We could drop the road in the red circle, and concentrate houses in the south (where I drafted those roads - in brown, including a roundabout/plaza)
    What say you?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Hey Robbie, it's me again.

We share a really big border and the southern half of it is bugging me a little. Most of it is a north-south road, with roads leading to it on both sides. This implies (to my eyes) a certain level of urban density. So, since that area is blank on both our drafts and we both plan leafy broad expanses on our north sides, I would like to propose this:

Name:	roadschange.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	91406

We could drop the road in the red circle, and concentrate houses in the south (where I drafted those roads - in brown, including a roundabout/plaza)
    What say you?
    I'm down with that. I'm doing a very simple drawing style for my buildings (was mainly experimenting with hand drawing) but I may go back and use better tools for that. So I think we'll match pretty well, let's do it. If you want to make that roundabout larger and half on mine half on yours we could even do that. If you're working down there you're ahead of me. I've been really sick with stomach flu these past couple days so haven't been able to map as much as I'd like.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast