Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Of course they do! Silly mouse! LOL!

But that is only the practical and logical conclusion.

Here in the south of England we only very rarely get snow, but all our rooftops are sloped - some of them quite steeply. I think this is a lot to do with the fashion at the time the house is built. Edwardian houses in my area, for example, are pretty 'alpine' in profile, despite the fact that there has only once ever been sufficient snow here for me to build a snowman, way back in 1974, or thereabouts, and even then I had to steal some of the snow from next door's garden!

So it would appear that in my area at least, fashion plays a role in rooftop architecture, as much as climate and practical matters.

EDIT: ninjad by Red!

Blog Entries

I know when I had to issue designs for my shed the main reason I was in some dispute over the angle of attack of my shed roof was due to the snow. Snow weighs some enormous amount per m^2 so if you get 6" of snow then the size of the rafters holding up the roof have to cope. The amount / depth of snow that can accumulate on a roof is proportional to its angle and like an avalanche, it slides off after a certain amount. Also, when wind blows roof tiles. flat ones tend to lift up and blow away. So flatter tiled roofs have metal ties on some of the tiles to hold them down.

I am taking the terrain to be really hot tho. If water is so scarce that this city lept up from nothing due to these water filled crevasses then it cant be all that cold and so unlikely to snow. But thats just my take from the initial convos we had.

Edit: I recall deep snow in about 1978 - 1980 type time frame. Was the only time I recall where it went up to my waist in places. But we have had a few inches of snow about 5 years ago.
    Edit2: Hey look - Devon 1978: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HSff1h8g2Q
    Last edited by Redrobes; 01-18-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Azelor found us a couple of cities at the same latitude which looked pretty green and tropical to me, so I'm leaning more towards a less extreme climate. I put his links in the FAQ thread (link in my signature). The thing about limestone karst is just because the water seeps through to the underground levels doesn't mean the land is a desert. Where there is a rainy season (which seems likely) the ground will be quite green for most of the year if there is already a vegetative covering. The heat of the climate depends on altitude, and that's something I don't think we discussed.

I think you may have touched on why the rooftops in my area are so steep. We get the tail end of all the American hurricanes sweeping across the Atlantic and straight up the English Channel - gales and gusts in excess of 120 mph. No wonder we have pitched roofs!

EDIT: however, if the consensus of opinion is that this place is a desert then I'll take all my trees out and dim down the grass. I wouldn't want to be a somewhat ridiculous emerald jewel in the middle of a desert city! LOL!
    Last edited by Mouse; 01-18-2017 at 06:55 PM.

I don't think it's desert, I think its like halfway between desert and rainforest.... Or maybe a mixture of both. I assumed it had a rainy season, and then was dry for the rest of the year.

I'm currently working on a desert version of Atlas ward - just out of interest to see what it looks like

I'll upload it... er... when my software doesn't crash in the background and give me a warning popup like I've got right in front of me now!!!

Oh crap!

I'll be back!

Yes the pebbles are on scale, it's just that they pebbles for giants.

I too like your color palette. And I also have doubts about having as many dormers as J Edward. I guess it's mostly a matter of taste.

As for the snow, some of the cities at that latitude never ever had temperatures drop below 5 Celsius in the last 100 years or so (according to Wikipedia). People don't know what snow is.
    The climate is dry but only during the dry season. The difference between the seasons can be enormous. A map made just before the rainy season would look pretty much like a desert but with trees.

When thinking about the climate, I was assuming something like the Deccan plateau in India.

How windy would you say it might be in our city, Azelor?

I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of all my pitched rooftops and go for flat all over.

Oh, I've been doing an arctic region.

Only joking - I, too, considered it to be equatorial-tropical with wet and dry seasons and a rather high snow line. Forested, hardwoods (not necessarily hard wood), but most likely depleted due to clearance for settlement. Hardwood species tend not to grow so quickly. If the elevation is high enough there may be the possibility of softwood species such as cedars.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    How windy would you say it might be in our city, Azelor?

I'm trying to decide whether to get rid of all my pitched rooftops and go for flat all over.
    It all depends on how many beans get eaten

Looking at some wind power potential maps, I'd say it's windy mostly along the coasts or where there is elevated lands.

https://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=...act=mrc&uact=8

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...114f6ace89.jpg

We are inland and at this latitude, we are in a typically year long low pressure area = not good for winds.
    It helps since we are probably at some altitude over the sea level.
    Also, the change or air mass during the monsoon would increase average wind speed in that time of the year.
    The wind speed depends on how fast does the land heats up compared to the surrounding ocean, which I have no idea exactly.
    While we likely have a summer monsoon, I doupt there is any noticeable winter monsoon.

Summary: generally low winds with average winds in the early rainy season. (I am not entirely sure that wind and rainy seasons are linked, I'm just guessing)

Compared to Southern England where you live Mouse, winds are strong there. Scotland and Ireland are even windier. And Cap Denison, Antarctica has an average wind speed of 50 mph, more than twice that of Scotland.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast