Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Here's a place in Brazil that is a similar latitude. there's no where on Earth that has such a huge continent to the west so it's hard to tell what would happen climate-wise. In central Asia it tends to be very dry but they're at higher, more temperate latitudes. The sort of latitudes where coconuts would have to be carried by swallows grabbing them by the husks.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...!6m1!1e1?hl=en

However, it is not to far from the eastern ocean so perhaps the drying effect would be countered by easterlies coming in.

They have an highway around the city that is almost a perfect circle.

Great isn't it?

To get back on topic, I don't know what kind of roof would be the most realistic for this climate.
    Tiled roofs seemed the best choice of material based on a previous discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Straf View Post
    Here's a place in Brazil that is a similar latitude.
    I don't know how you managed, Straf, but you pointed to a city where I actually have family living!
    Taking that city as a model for architecture will give an european baroque feel to the churches and public buildings..

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    To get back on topic, I don't know what kind of roof would be the most realistic for this climate.
    Tiled roofs seemed the best choice of material based on a previous discussion.
    Yeah, I think tiled roofs with only a slight incline is the way to go. It'll be my way to go. I've been playing with the idea of including a roof tile factory in my section...
    Last edited by Pixie; 01-19-2017 at 04:01 AM.

That place in Brazil has both flatter and shallow sloped roofs. Tiled as far as I can see. The buildings themselves seem to be of a timber and stone build then rendered. There's certainly no shortage of lime in our region, although producing it on a large scale may prove expensive in terms of human life. Perhaps we can capture and enslave orcs to do it? Thatching may also be an option in some cases, especially if there are reed beds available. These would likely be steeper. Clay for tiles might have to be brought in from elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    I don't know how you managed, Straf, but you pointed to a city where I actually have family living!
    Taking that city as a model for architecture will give an european baroque feel to the churches and public buildings..
    Maybe you can ask them which are the best trees growing around the place for construction

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like the way you're coloring the roofs ! That's really great !!!

I like a lot what you have so far, Pixie! A very nice way to do roofs and trees.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 21 _wip_02.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	91565

First, the present stage of the work... I reworked the shadows, and that took me a good - but right now, I love them, because they match buildings height and all (and also because they represent precious hours, now spent!). I also gave it a shot at drawing, coloring and shading trees, as a try out, since I never did this before.

Second area that was worked on is the entrance to the inner city north of the monastery. There are a few houses there, a steep descent from the wall gates to the level of the monastery and a mix of ruined farm houses next to some still occupied. Let's see how all that goes when colored...

And I've got a second image to share...
    This is a scheme of the main west->east routes. My section encompasses all roads from East Lake to the Walled City, so I thought this could look interesting... Like someone else usually says, Comment and Critique are welcome.

EDIT: Forgot to fix the lack of color in some parts close to the boundary, sorry Redrobes.. (but I did take note and WILL fix)
    Last edited by Pixie; 01-20-2017 at 07:38 PM.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast