Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

Default 21 - Monastery of Realisminites and its vicinities [Pixie]

So this is my opening.

When I had a look at the large map, I imagined the area where sections 21 and 22 are as a kind of greenish, less-dense area between the two main urban areas around the large lakes. I figured it could be an area where the ground is less stable and not so capable of sustaining large buildings.

Then it dawned me that the tiny lake in area 21 could actually by recent, and that a large ancient temple collapsed when the "pit" opened up at the surface. This would surely justify an area that was left partially untouched - holy grounds, but unstable. So that's the southern part of the section.

On the northern part, a new version of the temple would have been built. From this seed, I had the idea that the said temple could be a sort of monastery/academy, where young recruits for the Guild could live and practice, as they carve WIP after WIP of unreplied posts. However, since I belong to a minority around here that accept nothing less than ultra natural accuracy in my settings, this wouldn't be where the whole of the trainees stay, but only those who believe they can create an imaginary planet that is 100% credible (in vain... oh, so much in vain!).
    So the Order of Realism was born. Always filled with novices in the dormitories, always with grand and unfinished projects going on. With one foot in the Guild, yet proudly set outside the city walls. The place where Geoff's Climate Cookbook and Azelor's Tutorial on Climate are Gospel, where the monks waste countless days discussing tectonics and where many young ones despair when in face with... realism.

(Edit): Neighbours list:
    Robbie is just next door with The Old Cartographers' Guild Hall and Administrative Quarter.
    And Snodsy to the southeast, with his Engineering and Power District
    Whipstache doing his Handmaiden's Burrow
    Last edited by Pixie; 02-17-2017 at 11:37 AM.

I already have a draft... I do!
    This is my first attempt at city mapping. (That is, excluding many many top-down drawings made as as kid and long lost). For now, this is a draft, drawn with a very thick brush over a very enlarged version of downloaded map, in an attempt to hide my huge limitations with drawing.

Most of the plans come from locations I know here in Portugal, a real monastery, army barracks close to where I live, my grandparents village, some streets in the old quarters of my hometown. I just went to google maps, traced over them, scaled to "real" dimensions on this map.

The rest of the section should be filled with vegetation. Thicker in some parts, cultivated in others.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Section 21 _draft01.jpg 
Views:	158 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	91273

Oh, and this being a draft, nothing is set in stone dear neighbours

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Abu Lafia's Avatar

This is a very cool (and accurate! ) description of the "order of realism" Pixie, i love it! I have to smuggle myself inside the monastery one day to listen to the esoteric murmurs of "Tecktonicks" and get a glimpse of this sacred thing called "Ryalism" Really looking forward to see a surely awesome district!

Edit: oh i was ninjaed by your first upload... it's looking great already. The layout of the different temples and buildings is indeed very convincing!
    Last edited by Abu Lafia; 01-14-2017 at 12:27 PM.
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Brilliant Pixie Love the description and concept.
    All of it is well thought out... very real and reasonable. Firm nod of approval
    I'm really enjoying everyone's views and additions to this fine city we have.

I love the concept Pixie

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think it's perfect! I'm honored to be your neighbor and I think there should be tree lined paths or light roads through the woods separating us because after a long day of meeting to discuss guild politics and the like, a little reflecting with the monks of the order or in the gardens would be perfect.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Robbie; 01-14-2017 at 12:28 PM.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

That seems really good ! And I like all the ideas about the beliefs of the cartographers !

Excellent setting Pixie. I'm looking forward to seeing more

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Pixie, I've already taken your wip into my map and will be keeping it updated to make sure I don't intrude. My latest has trees that share our border. You mention that there will be a lot of vegetation in your section so if you intend to fill in all of that space between the guild hall and your buildings, I'll just extend that vegetation just inside my border. So you're probably going to end up being better at drawing vegetation than me, so if you want to overlap me I can insert your vegetation into my map along that edge. It's up to you though.

My latest wip also has the trees misplaced and slightly covering your buildings... It's already been fixed and will show as fixed in my next wip.

Sent from my m8wl using Tapatalk
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Nice sketch and great ideas, Pixie !

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast