Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Thread: 39 - Engineering & Power District [Snodsy]

Your district feels so alive ! It was promising before the shadows but they brought it to life !

Great - its fantastic

I'm still trying to work out that hill shading so I can copy it!

Just one question - who is that telescope in the Non-Traditional Research lab/observatory pointed at?

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    This looks great Snodsy, I think you're one of my favorite city mappers, you're lines always look nice, and clean, and I love the way you do you're shadows especially on the cliffs, it's something I've admired on you're other maps as well. I wonder if you could shed some light on how you do the shadows I really struggle with mine, what blend mode, and colours do you use to get that effect? Whenever I try everything under the shadows gets sort of muddy looking, is there a trick to this?
    Something I'm not sure if I'm doing right with shadows - is overlapping types of shadow to create deeper shadows by having two shadow layers.

I have a BUILDING SHADOW LAYER and a GROUND SHADOW LAYER, these live at the TOP most layer. (sometime below the line art layer(s), sometime above)

THE GROUND SHADOW LAYER - cliffs, trees, natural elements.
    Applied with large soft brush (28px) at 10% transparency and just slowly build it up, MODE is NORMAL.

THE BUILDING SHADOW LAYER
    is applied with the STRAIGHT LINE LASSO TOOL and PAINT FILLED at 100% or brushed in with a hard 13px round brush at 100% - the layer is then adjusted for desired opacity (roughly 20% to match ground shadow)

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Your district feels so alive ! It was promising before the shadows but they brought it to life !
    Thanks I find shadowing very rewarding

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Great - its fantastic
    I'm still trying to work out that hill shading so I can copy it!
    I just visualize the sun hitting the hill and get really into it, beer helps too.

Just one question - who is that telescope in the Non-Traditional Research lab/observatory pointed at?
    Who? or What? One of the field at the Engineering College is Astronomy - so those graduates who now work there probably use it---not sure what?

Quote Originally Posted by Falconius View Post
    This will be done soon enough, and it looks great. But oy, it is making me feel way behind with people starting to finish up. Guess I better stop taking a break and get back on it.
    I think I'm a little ahead of the curve, not too many done, hope you find it inspirational

Guild Expert

Thanks for the tips Snodsy I'll have to try that out, what colour do you use? Is it just black, or something else?

Yes just black, sometime a dark grey with a little yellow. Hope it helps.

Quote Originally Posted by snodsy View Post
    Something I'm not sure if I'm doing right with shadows - is overlapping types of shadow to create deeper shadows by having two shadow layers.
    I'm also struggling with that decision. I thought about multiple shadow layers but didn't get round to it yet. So far, only one layer, no overlap, but I need to have a good look at your end result to see how different it will look.

Overall, you've done a brilliant job and it's a joy to be your neighbour (although I will probably end up with a much worst piece, which will look terrible next to your section...)

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

I really like the way the drawing style reflects the style of the district : very technical, very detailed, very precise and mechanical. And it shows also in the "decor" of the map : your clock is wonderful, with so many details, and in the "blueprint" of the factory ! Realy a great job, that comes with an ambiance and a history. Thanks a lot for your part of the city : it's a real plus !

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Southern Crane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    I really like the way the drawing style reflects the style of the district : very technical, very detailed, very precise and mechanical. And it shows also in the "decor" of the map : your clock is wonderful, with so many details, and in the "blueprint" of the factory ! Realy a great job, that comes with an ambiance and a history. Thanks a lot for your part of the city : it's a real plus !
    Agreed. I was trying to think of how to explain what I liked here since its more than just details, and I think you got it spot on. The style reflects the theme so it just has a really cool cohesiveness.

Thanks for the compliments gang, and Jo that was a really nice comment, I appreciate it. This has been a fun one to do and I've learned a lot on this, especially using the ROTATE CANVAS tool in photoshop, which has finally allowed me to draw a little cleaner.

I hope you are going to put it up in Finished Maps - so we can hyperlink from the zoomy map to the FM thread (as has already been done with Atlas Ward), and people get to really appreciate all the intricate details

EDIT: Are you up for another section? I was allowed to do a second one when I finished, so I don't see why the offer shouldn't be open for all the Guild City mappers
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-05-2017 at 09:03 AM.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast