Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Atlas Awards: Rules and Discussion

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

This is indeed very exciting! Can't wait till we can finally vote for this, though this may very well be the hardest voting of all contests!

When i was looking for my nominations, turned out that all of them are already picked by others, so in a way you did the job for me, thank you

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

VOTING IS NOW LIVE!

So go forth and vote. It took a loooong time (like, 3 - 4 hours) for me to get everything set up and posted, so the end time on the various voting threads is at different times.

Ok, i know nomination is over for this year...but as this will be an ongoing thing, i will still ask a question (or rather make an observation/comment) :

I find the rule of nomination to be unbalanced.
    If i nominate just one map, it has to be from someone else. That's fine...no "i'm only voting for myself" shenanigans.
    But what i don't get is why i need to have an own map if i want to nominate two maps. I feel that is kind of unfair to all of us who are not able to produce maps in that quality range (or who don't want to do/share maps at all for that matter).
    I find it kind of a weird reasoning to go "no, you are not allowed to nominate two maps if you don't have an own map to nominate". I mean even if i have own maps, what if i don't want to nominate my own stuff? Why should i then only be allowed to nominate one? From a logic point of view, that makes no sense to me.
    Why do you CLs feel that this distinction is necessary? Are you "afraid" that we get too many nominations? Would you mind laying out your reasoning for that distinction?

I'd like to propose to drop that requirement. Either everyone gets to nominate two maps per category (if they are so inclined that is...just nominating one is perfectly fine), or no one gets to nominate two.

I'm sorry if that all sounds a bit pompous/entitled ... it's not meant to be. But i couldn't phrase it any better at the moment (English is not my native tongue) but still felt like i wanted to share this with you all
    I don't want to be confrontational...i'm just honestly wondering about this.
    I'm trapped in Darkness,
    Still I reach out for the Stars

Eilathen, this is the first time we've run the awards, and we came up with rules that seemed reasonable at the time. Obviously, once it's over and done, we're going to review what worked and what didn't, and the rules may well be tweaked for next year. We wanted people to nominate their own maps, but not a single person did, so I feel pretty sure that's going to be dropped, as there seems little point in continuing with that requirement. Whether we decide to give everyone two votes instead, or stick with only one vote, will be discussed among the CLs. But please, let's wait till the awards are over and the dust settles before we start discussions. I'd like everyone to focus on the awards themselves for now, and let the nominated mapmakers have their moment in the spotlight. There'll be plenty of time afterwards to refine the rules for next year.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Guild Member handsome_unlimited's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    We wanted people to nominate their own maps, but not a single person did
    Whoa man, I nominated one of my maps for all categories. It was just in late. And it was a terrible garbage fire of a map. Anyway, that's still one person more than "nobody".

It was right here: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...l=1#post332051

Is there something planned in case there is a tie in a category? Like a second turn or will there be multiple winners?

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    Is there something planned in case there is a tie in a category? Like a second turn or will there be multiple winners?
    We haven't really discussed that, but I see no reason why there couldn't be multiple winners if there are ties. We do it all the time in the Challenges.

Guild Adept

ça y est j'ai voté il y en a de superbes!

Did it this morning, I cannot wait to see the final polls !

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast