Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st Annual Atlas Awards: Rules and Discussion

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default 1st Annual Atlas Awards: Rules and Discussion

Even though this is technically the second year we've done an annual awards type thing, this is a clean slate and 're-branding'. The process is completely different this time around. Instead of Guild members starting a thread for an entry and working on it throughout the year, what we're doing this year is having everyone nominate candidates in various categories, similar to the Oscars award process.

OFFICIAL RULES AND REGULATIONS

1. There will be TEN different categories open for nominations. These categories are:

• Best Overall Map
    • Best World Map
    • Best Regional Map
    • Best City, Town, or Dungeon Map
    • Best Strategic, Encounter, or Board Game Map
    • Best Hand-Drawn or Traditional Map
    • Best Media-Ready Map
    • Best Structure Map
    • Best Space Map
    • Most Creative Map

2. You can nominate up to TWO maps for each category - IF YOU ONLY POST ONE NOMINATION IT CANNOT BE ONE OF YOUR OWN.
    IF YOU POST TWO NOMINATIONS, ONE MUST BE ONE OF YOUR MAPS, ONE MUST BE SOMEONE ELSE'S.
    Once you nominate, PLEASE DO NOT EDIT YOUR POST IF YOU CHANGE YOUR MIND. Delete your original post and post again (but see rule 8 below). This is to streamline the process for us CLs.

3. Only maps from the Finished Maps forum that were posted to that forum in 2016 will be eligible for nomination.

4. Each Category will have its own thread. Post your nominations to the relevant thread, not to this thread. This thread is for discussion only.

5. Do not post ANYTHING in the nominations threads except nominations.

6. Each nomination must contain a link to the thread/map you're nominating. If there is no link, the post/nomination will be deleted by a CL.

If the post/thread has more than one image in it, you MUST specify which image (map) you are nominating.

7. When you nominate a map, your post must be formatted like this:

Name of Map, by Guild Member: link to map thread (in Finished Maps forum) goes here

EXAMPLE

Akaos, by Arsheesh: https://www.cartographersguild.com/s...ad.php?t=33900

8. You cannot nominate the same map within a specific category if it has already been nominated. This is going to be the trickiest part of this whole thing - us CLs will be trawling the threads to clean them up and delete duplicate nominations, but we need YOU to be responsible and read through the previous nominations as well before you post.

9. A map can be nominated in MORE THAN ONE CATEGORY, but see rule 8 above.

10. Nominations will run from now until Sunday February 26.

That's it! Dig deep in the Finished Maps forum, unearth those beauties from waaaaay back in January 2016, and have fun!

Please discuss, ask questions, rant and rave, etc, in this thread.
    Last edited by Diamond; 01-18-2017 at 12:16 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Exciting stuff, Diamond! What about Challenge entries as plenty of those don't get posted in the Finished maps forum?

It's up to Guild members to re-post their challenge maps to the finished maps thread. Plenty do; some don't.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Yeah, I know that, but still it seems a shame to rule those out of the annual challenge. I doubt anything of mine from them would get anywhere, but often I don't post them in finished maps purely because it feels like I'm duplicating the post and other may feel the same. Still I understand there have to be rules of some description...just at the time I may have posted in finished maps if I knew it would otherwise make them completely ineligible.

EDIT: Re-reading that I hope it all makes sense. I'm sometimes hopeless at forming sentences.
    Last edited by Greg; 01-15-2017 at 02:29 PM.

There's going to be some rough patches, some hurt feelings, some anger, this first time around. That's why the rules are as clear and concise as they can be; that way next year everyone knows what to expect. Us CLs didn't know for sure what shape this whole thing was going to settle on until fairly recently, and it's not like you could go back and retroactively post all those challenge maps to the finished maps forum anyway. I would say, now you know for next year, and concentrate on finding some awesome maps that ARE eligible this time around.

Would it be possible to make the 2016 Finished maps more easy to find ? I just tried a research and it prove hard for me to find only 2016 started threads in the finished maps forum. I have to admit, I'm not the sharpest tool on the shelf when it comes to internet research...

thomrey's having a day of good ideas! Would it be too much to ask to have a gallery of them all together?

I think I'm gonna end up feeding the fishes in the bay ...

As I understand, maps not yet posted in the finished section might be unfinished, we don't know. Therefore, if you post it in the finished section in 2017, it will be nominatable next year. Would that be against the rule?

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    I think I'm gonna end up feeding the fishes in the bay ...
    Me too in that case

Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast