Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: Voolf's miscellaneous art

Most likely i will have to put this aside for a while and switch to different project, so next udapte may take a while.

I deepened shadows on mountains and then made light brighter. It may look too white now, but it will darken when i add colour.

I also did the shade on forests. Colours change the value of light and shade when you later put it on top of your background parchment (unless you work with colour blending option), so to help me with the right shade tone i first painted it colour, then did the shadows. They're still missing light.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknow_wip_v1.6_Zatwarnicki_Rafal.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	107980
    New Horizons
    Fantasy maps and illustrations.

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons
    Get more of my maps by becoming my Patreon.

Support:
    Patreon | Tip via PayPal.Me | Buy Me a Coffee

It's looking fantastic.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    It's looking fantastic.
    Thank you ChickPea

Now fighting with the colours. Always the toughest part for me. It takes me several approcheas to actually nail down the right colour saturation and tone. Small steps but slowly moving forward.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknow_wip_v1.7_Crop1_Zatwarnicki_Rafal.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	249.6 KB 
ID:	108278 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Unknow_wip_v1.7_Crop2_Zatwarnicki_Rafal.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	237.5 KB 
ID:	108279
    New Horizons

All my non-commisioned maps are FREE for personal use. Get them at my home page New Horizons

Support:

I think you may have got the colours just right in that second map anyway!

The map is stunning

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I think you may have got the colours just right in that second map anyway!

The map is stunning
    Mouse i read your comment couple times and i can't quite get what you mean

Both crops are different parts of the map. First is gonna be rocky and barren, hence grey colour, second is abundant with flora, so i used green. You mean that the colour looks ok on the second crop but the first one is a no-go ?
    New Horizons

Support:

I love the red bushed between the scale-like mountains !

Quote Originally Posted by Voolf View Post
    Mouse i read your comment couple times and i can't quite get what you mean

Both crops are different parts of the map. First is gonna be rocky and barren, hence grey colour, second is abundant with flora, so i used green. You mean that the colour looks ok on the second crop but the first one is a no-go ?
    Oh - I thought those were two different maps! LOL!

The colours of the second crop are lovely, but that doesn't mean the first crop is wrong. If that's bare rock then its great - maybe a little more variation in the greys? Rock is all kinds of grey, but its probably something you've already tried and discarded as a bad idea

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh - I thought those were two different maps! LOL!

The colours of the second crop are lovely, but that doesn't mean the first crop is wrong. If that's bare rock then its great - maybe a little more variation in the greys? Rock is all kinds of grey, but its probably something you've already tried and discarded as a bad idea
    Yes i tried that, but can not get it right. As a matter of fact i really strugge with this one. I cant get the colours right at all. Either map is too dark or too white. I may actually give up this one, or take a really long break
    New Horizons

Support:

Maybe it is due to the parchment being darker.
    That can really affect how colors look on a background.
    As an example, many of mine would look wrong if I change the background color.
    That's due to them being multiply layers.

Try a second fractionally more purply deep water colour. Maybe the shallow could then be edged towards aqua (closer to the green of the land), for purple-green harmony.

Colours aren't the easiest things to play with. Sometimes I google 'green paintings', 'blue paintings', colourful paintings, or something like that - steal colour ideas from other people's work. You could try that? Remember also that if you happen to like a painting you see for its colours, the balance is just as important. For example, if you find a glorious blue painting with a small amount of yellowish orange in it, the colours won't look any good used in an artwork where the proportion of those colours is different - where there is the same amount of both, or more of the yellowish orange than the blue.

You could even use that second extract to do an image search for similar images - see what you can find that is almost but not quite the same colour balance. Sometimes things can look wrong but only be very slightly 'off'.

I still really like that second sample.

Page 17 of 29 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast