Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Wörld of Metal

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    I also thought about Stairway to Heaven, but the place is now called Valhalla. But I could make a stairway anyway, because I think people will get the reference nonetheless.

Hail to the Priest, by the way. Painkiller is one of my favourite albums of any band ever. I've added a Shrine of the Priest and it will be placed - *drumroll* - between the (city of) Hammer and the (city of) Anvil. It's even written in a Judas Priest font, haha.
    Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the placement as well. Perfection. If you have time maybe you could enter it in the Jan/Feb challenge, map a song - you have plenty of references...
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    The work is beautiful - stray pixels or not. I can see this getting an award of some kind next March
    Oh my, that's quite the praise. Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by damonjynx View Post
    If you have time maybe you could enter it in the Jan/Feb challenge, map a song - you have plenty of references...
    I'm afraid I haven't. Besides, isn't that specific challenge already over? Maybe I'll enter some other time. Thanks for the heads up, though.

PS: Mouse suddenly stopped working yesterday (not you, Mouse ), a new one is ordered and should arrive by Friday. So no new WIPs until at least after the weekend when I hope to get a good chunk of the work done.

Oh I suddenly stop working all the time! LOL!

I think its an age thing... you know?

About the Challenge idea - I don't want to put the dampers on anything positive, but I'm not sure if you can use a map that wasn't started as an entry to the challenge.

My bad if I'm wrong, but you might want to check with whichever CL is running the challenge to make sure its ok before you do it

Oh, I wasn't planning to use this map anyway. It's not a song, after all. If I were to enter - and by now it doesn't really look like it- I would create a new map specifically designed for the challenge. So no biggie.

[Edit] I need to read more closely. Damonjynx apparently was indeed talking about this map. But like I said, I don't plan to use it either way.
    Last edited by Rongar; 02-08-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Just for clarification...

1. The 'map a song' challenge is indeed over. It finished at the end of January.
    2. Maps have to be created specifically for the challenge. You can't use something that you'd started already.

No biggie here, since Rongar's not entering anyway, but thought I'd clear up any potential confusion.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Just for clarification...

1. The 'map a song' challenge is indeed over. It finished at the end of January....
    Oh yes!

Doh!

You'd think I'd remember that, given that I was one of the people who voted on the outcome. I must have been quite tired last night! LOL!

Thanks for clearing that up, ChickPea!

See, I knew something was fishy when I found the "map a song" challenge in the archive.

Not much progress yet - the challenge kept me busy. Right now I'm still mapping out the Viking Belt and boy, that's no easy task. Very little landmass to work on. Or too low of a resolution, but I'm not gonna up it again. Anyway, as I was mapping away, I got an idea of how to visualize moshpits and thought I'd share it. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the term - a moshpit (also known as circle pit) is when the people start pushing and jumping around near the stage. Here's a short video but, well, strong language-warning.

So here's how I interpret them as a landmark (to the right of "The Hills"):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wörld of Metal_moshpit.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	92689

I've chosen Valhalla for showing it off because it's the most advanced part of the map and should provide a good impression of how well (or not) they fit in with the other elements like forests and mountains (I think they do fit quite well, though). I've also added a quick'n'dirty info box, which is by no means final but I like the general idea. I think I'm gonna keep it and add a few more of these boxes. Not sure exactly where, though. I might leave them floating about the map itself or include them in the border. Depends on how many there will be in the end and if they disturb the shape of the landmass, etc.

Hahaha! Excellent

Can I suggest leaving a bit more margin between the inside edge of the text box and the text itself?

so... is it pronounced "maaash"(as in the word pa) as we in the real word would say. Or more like "mooosh(as in the sound a cow makes with sh on the end)

I personally like the punny type nature of making a real work that does not sound the same way as it's spelled sound more like it's spelled with a twist and mooo sh is just damned funny to say.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast