Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	91952

Steps animatic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havenrock.gif 
Views:	217 
Size:	716.8 KB 
ID:	91953

• I started by creating quick 3D model with an online design tool called Tinkercad.
    • 3D model was made from simple cubes and wedges scaled and moved about. The minimal ground terrain was a bit trickier, made using a grayscale height-map. Didn't really need the terrain for the drawing, but wanted to see if I could work it into the 3D design.
    • Once I had buildings and ground how I liked them, I turned perspective off (switched to orthographic) and chose an angle that would show 3D height and still work well as as a 2D town map. Took a screen shot of that view and added that image as base layer in Photoshop.
    • From there on I have been adding new layers and drawing over the 3D background with simple pencil brush.

Thinking about color and shading once I get the linework finished.

This is gorgeous! Your linework is fab. Can't wait to see this one coloured.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Sketchup is pretty fab for doing this. Saves a lot of headaches agonizing over getting perspective and angles right. And I agree - the linework looks great.
    My new Deviant-thing. I finally caved.

Thanks for the feedback!
    I felt I didn't need the power of Sketchup for this one, + I use Tinkercad daily (full disclosure I work on the app.) Goal was to not spend a lot of time in 3D but I did want the power of choosing my camera angle as you mentioned.
    I have updated the linework for the town proper. Not sure if I will add much more to the surrounds like trees and terrain, or just crop it close to the outer walls.
    Color experimenting so far is all neutral tones. Sets a base for highlights and shadows.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Havenrock.05.jpg 
Views:	199 
Size:	504.6 KB 
ID:	92000

This is already amazing! Good job Magnet. Loking forward to see more

What Voolf said!

You have some awesome drawing skills

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Just like Mouse said ... The preparation in 3D is an excellent idea, but all the quality of the drawing is in your skill... amazing !
    I'll surely enjoy seeing maps drawn by you !

Great job and really nice use o 3D program to get perspective, nice feel to line work

Guild Member

Really fantastic work there. Personally I like the vague details outside of the walls, I don't think you need to add much more there. It draws your eye to the nice lines of the town.

Indeed this is some great work. I really should try this workprocess! Keep up the great work.

Cheers,
    Tainotim

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast