Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Thanks Kacey

Ummm... I've changed the whole thing!

No evidence yet, but just a warning. I had a much better idea about the layout, and I've started again, but at least I will know how to draw the cliffs this time so it won't take as long to sort out (with any luck)

This is the new plan.

The Background is totally draft only. I'm starting from the CC3 end of the operation first this time - getting the buildings done, and then working on the background a bit more in GIMP.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Errahum_09.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	8.00 MB 
ID:	92649

I've pulled the relief back in line with the master plan. The mesa would have looked really out of place where I added them, so I created two larger mesa by intriduceing a couple of gorges/canyons in the existing hill.

I've also tried to make life just a bit easier for my neighbours by fading out the cliffs before they cross the boundary lines.

Small update - a few light industries

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 10.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	8.18 MB 
ID:	92674

Better colours (except the tiled houses are still a bit bright). I got rid of that orange grass! LOL!

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 11.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	8.45 MB 
ID:	92677

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected Rongar's Avatar

Looking mighty fine, Mouse! The colors are indeed a lot better, though not quite as good as they were before the overhaul. But since you are going to use GIMP for the final touches at the end this time around, I worry not. Keep up the good work and lock that layout down.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    Looking mighty fine, Mouse! The colors are indeed a lot better, though not quite as good as they were before the overhaul. But since you are going to use GIMP for the final touches at the end this time around, I worry not. Keep up the good work and lock that layout down.
    Thanks Rongar

I still have the first version, so I can copy the colours exactly from that one if I want to, but I think the new direction is better. I seem to have a tendency to veer towards orange grass for some reason! I'll put it down as one of my stranger eccentricities, and get rid of it!

Once I get the cliffs properly sorted out it will look a lot better - I just haven't done more than a couple of hours work to the GIMP background yet

Just for interest - this is the GIMP background on its own (25% reduction of the original), so you can separate in your mind what is done in GIMP, and what is done in CC3:

Name:	Errahum Background.PNG 
Views:	36 
Size:	7.34 MB 
ID:	92685

The detail of the cliffs will be done on the GIMP background, while all the buildings, roads, paving, trees, rough grass, surround paper and embellishments including the title text and labelling etc will be done in CC3. I will most likely sort out the shadows and relief shading as a separate layer in GIMP, to give myself room for subtleties like atmospheric fading and blurring of the shadows with greater distance from source object and export that as a separate png file to be used as an overly to the CC3 work, while the landscape remains in the background.

Curiously, this GIMP/CC3+/GIMP sandwich approach seems to be working quite well. The only thing I am having problems with (other than being relatively poor at using GIMP just yet), is getting the CC3 HSL settings right for the houses so that they are not also rather horribly orange!

(What is this orange thing I've got? Is it a sign of madness?)

Orange ... You mean the color of cheddar cheese? No idea why you would like that, Mouse. None whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Rongar View Post
    Orange ... You mean the color of cheddar cheese? No idea why you would like that, Mouse. None whatsoever.
    LOL! I must be hungry again!

Colour test alert!

No progress - just trying to get the grass and the tiled buildings to play nicely with each other - the old green v orange battle!

The grass is more olive-green than blue-green now, which seems to be the only way it will behave itself when dotted with lots of little yellow/orange/brown house roofs.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Errahum 12.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	8.44 MB 
ID:	92696

EDIT: The shading on the rooftops is actually backwards in this edition - I forgot to use the FLIPSHADING command line (its about the biggest bug I've ever come across with CC3, and where bugs are concerned its really only a very tiny one )
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-16-2017 at 02:41 PM.

Love it! I'm a huge fan of greens that go more into the brown/red direction. Gives them a more "earthy" look, if that makes any sense to you. So yeah, this looks like ten times better already. To me anyway.

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast