Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 - [Inner] The Ward of Erahum [Mouse]

Oh! Thank you!

Wow! I'm really kind of stuck for words here. I was actually disappointed that it didn't look like yours! LOL!

That means a lot coming from you! Thank you!

EDIT: I guess I might have to draw the entire landscape in GIMP then. Do you guys put those coloured splodges on the side of your map so you can pick the same colours each time you come back to a map? I can't get used to this infinitely variable palette system. Colours are fixed in set palettes in all my other graphic software, but I suppose it makes sense.

Best I go and pick myself some colours then, and carry on
    Last edited by Mouse; 02-06-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Guild Expert

It kills me that you use pre made symbols like in CC3 when you can do things like experiment 3 which looks amazing. You're right about the splodges, I use them so I can get the same colour again, sometimes I forget to do this, and it's almost impossible to pick the exact same colour again so things can start to look inconsistent. There's been many times where I had to do things over because I forgot to save the colour swatch. I really hope you do the whole section this way, it might take longer, but it will be well worth it... I can't wait to see the next update.

Aw thanks Kacey

You and THW have managed to convince me to do it the experiment 3 way

I'm probably going to do a mix and match map, though, since I'm far more in tune with hills than houses, so I'll do the background in GIMP and export it to CC3 to do all the houses and trees, than take it back to GIMP (moving between them both at exactly the same resolution and size to prevent loss), and see what I can come up with. Having just spent 2 months perfecting my own 150 tree symbol set, I'm not keen on doing it all over again just for the sake of staying in GIMP

Just out of curiosity - what's the biggest GIMP file that you have ever run on a bottom of the range 4 core laptop? The experiment above is actually in Lurkin and not Erahum, which is smaller than Erahum but in its own right it is still 8890 x 9590 pi. Erahum isn't far off 10,000 pi square - if I do it to exactly the same scale as Lurkin.

If I stuck the two halves of District 15+ together to do it all as one map and at the resolution I was working at last night on experiment 3, it would probably be more like 15,000 pi square. I have a feeling that might be a bit too much, even though I only need the 7 layers if I'm just doing the land and not the houses and trees as well, but I don't think it would be worth it at a lower resolution than the one I'm using. I've sort of answered my own question just by chattering on here and thinking out loud about it all, but I'd be interested to know what was the biggest file you or anyone else has ever run on a laptop

Is there a way of painting in textures in GIMP?

I have all these lovely stone and grass textures I've made for myself to use on this map, and no way of using them right at the moment.

Guild Expert

I've never tried going bigger then 19 by 13 inches because that's the size I print, it's about 5700 by 3900 pixels, and this size seems to do fine on my computer which has 16 gb of ram, but if I get too many layers it definitely starts to lag. I don't see why you couldn't bring you're textures into gimp, what type of files are they? You could probably bring you're symbols in too are they saved as png? You could even make brushes out of them, and stamp them in, I'm sure there's YouTube videos on how to make gimp brushes, and it's not hard to do... And just for fun you should search how to make animated brushes in gimp on YouTube you might be surprised how easy it is to make one. I would only worry because you say you have a low end computer so make sure you save often in case you get too many layers, and it decides to freeze up on you, that happened to me when I was using gimp on my old hp laptop, but it only had 2gb of ram so I'm surprised it worked at all. If you're going to be using gimp allot I would really recommend learning about layer masks YouTube has videos on that too, and it will make you're life so much easier, you could use masks to paint in you're textures, or hide parts of them.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    It kills me that you use pre made symbols like in CC3 when you can do things like experiment 3 which looks amazing.
    Couldn't have been better said. You draw with such artistry.
    Your "experiment" 3 is now my model for the bits of exposed rock that I have planned.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    I've never tried going bigger then 19 by 13 inches because that's the size I print, it's about 5700 by 3900 pixels, and this size seems to do fine on my computer which has 16 gb of ram, but if I get too many layers it definitely starts to lag. I don't see why you couldn't bring you're textures into gimp, what type of files are they? You could probably bring you're symbols in too are they saved as png? You could even make brushes out of them, and stamp them in, I'm sure there's YouTube videos on how to make gimp brushes, and it's not hard to do... And just for fun you should search how to make animated brushes in gimp on YouTube you might be surprised how easy it is to make one. I would only worry because you say you have a low end computer so make sure you save often in case you get too many layers, and it decides to freeze up on you, that happened to me when I was using gimp on my old hp laptop, but it only had 2gb of ram so I'm surprised it worked at all. If you're going to be using gimp allot I would really recommend learning about layer masks YouTube has videos on that too, and it will make you're life so much easier, you could use masks to paint in you're textures, or hide parts of them.
    Thanks Kacey

That's quite a lot of really useful information. I was kind of hoping that you wouldn't say it was down to masks, but I guess I will just have to bite the bullet and work out why I don't understand them, since I only have 4GB RAM! Making my own brushes might work. I've seen colour brushes, and I'm sure that I could work out tiny rotating patterns to do stuff like grass and so on

Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Couldn't have been better said. You draw with such artistry.
    Your "experiment" 3 is now my model for the bits of exposed rock that I have planned.
    Thanks Pixie

If you're looking for a bit more inspiration that isn't as muddy-coloured as mine, I got my inspiration from THW. The way he did his valley in District 32 (The Jangles) is awe inspiring, and the colours are just gorgeous

I much prefer the way that Krita allows me to use my tablet, but unfortunately Krita doesn't seem to be able to handle the same files I've been using in GIMP, so its going to have to be GIMP. This is just a note for others and for my own future reference:

Krita can't handle files as big as GIMP can, and will simply freeze up if asked to do so

Really? To me it seemed the opposite with Krita, it handled larger surfaces much better. But I didn't get far into it with taxing stuff and many layers. I think my favorite part of Krita is changing the rotation of the canvas with shift-middlemouse, and honestly I'd use it just because of that alone.

Maybe its to do with the wimpy machine I'm using (lets face it - who else around here is working with a measly 4GB RAM). It took half an hour to add a new layer so I could draw on it, than then it froze up on me the moment I touched the pen to the tablet.

Had to use CTRL+ALT+DEL to shut it down and get it off the screen.

GIMP on the other hand is quite happy with exactly the same source JPEG, and 7 layers with lots of scribbling on them.

Perhaps its also down to handy things like the ability to turn the image around that makes it a bit more bulky in terms of processing power?

Page 6 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast