Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Post Wyvlir Seren - The Grand Alvae Astrolabe

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Astrolabe Guild upload.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	92803

An EASTEORRA piece.

Located on the high slopes of Skypiercer Peak sits Wyvlir Seren, the old and abandoned seat of the Alvae starseekers. Few humans have ever laid eyes on the massive buildings and the wondrous machines inside, and even fewer have lived to tell the tale. Seemingly abandoned for centuries now, the high halls and long tunnels clawing deep into the heart of Skypiercer Peak sit silent, their secrets waiting...

I realize that this is not really a map, but actually something quite different for me as it's an actual illustration. My first fantasy illustration worth being called that! I still put it here since I value this community's constructive input (and because it's part of a universe I have begun to create when I started my "Easteorra" remake). I know it's not perfect, but I still hope you like it.

Let me know what you think.

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Excellent illustration! The atmosphere is very present and very well rendered, thanks to the light but also and especially the small details that make all the difference (birds, snow, etc.). It was really interesting to see the whole process of your work : The start with the 3D and all the colorization, the addition of shadows ... It is inspiring and the result is magnificent!

I'll rep you as soon as I can !

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Excellent illustration! The atmosphere is very present and very well rendered, thanks to the light but also and especially the small details that make all the difference (birds, snow, etc.). It was really interesting to see the whole process of your work : The start with the 3D and all the colorization, the addition of shadows ... It is inspiring and the result is magnificent!

I'll rep you as soon as I can !
    Thank you!

Great job, Wired . The buildings are gorgeous.
    It's a matter of taste, but I'm not a fan of the black mountains and I would have prefer a more diverse palette for the background...

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Great job, Wired . The buildings are gorgeous.
    It's a matter of taste, but I'm not a fan of the black mountains and I would have prefer a more diverse palette for the background...
    Thank you, Ilanthar! I stuck extremely close to the original color palette of the mountain -- a dark blue-grey -- which then tends to turn even a shade darker once I factor in the position of the sun and the way the shadows would fall (broadly). During the creation process of the piece I was debating whether to add more elements to achieve that very diverse palette you're talking about. Ultimately, I decided against it. The location's situated a good deal above the natural forestation limit, and there's only so much I can do with snow and ice. Maybe a few blue-white ice sheets more could have done the trick, or a layer of clouds below the astrolabe's ground level? I don't know.