Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Errispa

This is looking very nice Mouse! I've not worked with FT and must say I dig the fractal cloud mountains you've been able to produce with it. The land-masses themselves are very nice, and I like what you've done with the coloring so far. Also, I sympathize you, I've only ever worked with a map as large as this one in GIMP once and it was an utter disaster. Crashes galore.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Guild Expert

Wow this is really coming along, nice to see it back together again, looks good so far.

Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is looking very nice Mouse! I've not worked with FT and must say I dig the fractal cloud mountains you've been able to produce with it. The land-masses themselves are very nice, and I like what you've done with the coloring so far. Also, I sympathize you, I've only ever worked with a map as large as this one in GIMP once and it was an utter disaster. Crashes galore.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Ooooo thank you, Arsheesh

Your extremely beautiful world maps played a large part in the initial style inspiration (though mine is not a patch on yours!)

With Fractal Terrains I've discovered that its important to have the roughness setting quite high, and no continental shelf (so that raising land from below the waterline to fill in holes doesn't give strange flat bits all over the place). Unfortunately that means the initial world is very bitty and a lot of work has to be done to clean things up a bit.

This is the unedited version:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT3 Basic.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	3.56 MB 
ID:	104931

And this is the one I exported (its actually a tortured mess where I accidentally over-used the smoothing tool in a couple of places, but Wilbur erosion seems to have taken care of it):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FT3 Processed.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	104932

Those bobbly bits in the largest continent (in the north of the desert) were actually a disaster that happened too late in the process for me to want to start all over again just to get rid of them. I'm glad I didn't now, since they provide a bit of contrast to the general style of the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by kacey View Post
    Wow this is really coming along, nice to see it back together again, looks good so far.
    Thank you Kacey

And I thought a 3GB file was unwieldy. Mouse, you must have to go make a sandwich every time you scroll or zoom!

EDIT: I forgot to refresh my page and didn't realize I was commenting on something you said over 12 hours ago... Now it looks like you've been able to compress down to 3GB. I bet that's a sigh of relief.
    Last edited by Hustle; 02-27-2018 at 09:47 AM.

Hey Hustle

I go and snack on fresh green veg (I'm really fond of raw Brussel sprouts and broccoli at the moment). Gives me something to keep my hands busy in the preparation (AND it keeps the weight down! )

GIMP sends lots of warning signals out - freezing for longer and longer. Most of the crashes I have are me pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL to force the program to shut down because I can't even minimize the window to do something else while I wait for it to respond. Sometimes GIMP gets everything so tied up in knots that it can take half an hour for the Task Manager to appear! LOL!

Now that I've got it down to just 3GB, though, its working fine

Cool stuff! :-)

Thanks Charles

Really needed to finish this one - the last in the collection of maps I need for the first novel in a series... but I'm stuck! My machine isn't powerful enough to manage the files this way - using Wilbur to do an entire planet at a realistic scale.

Meanwhile, I have been distracted by textures and symbols - an enjoyable and therapeutic pastime that sorts out a lot of the mental tangles I find myself in.

I will find a solution. I know I will

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011