Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I get avatars from CG?

The original mouse is actually well over 1500 px and not square. If you find a picture you like you can reduce it in GIMP... or, if you aren't familiar with doing that kind of thing just yet, if you upload it to this thread I can reduce it to size for you

Quote Originally Posted by silk186 View Post
    The resolution looks OK on my monitor, the avatars are unusually small.
    The size is inconvenient because you can't find anything this size on google.
    Try a search some something with a custom size of 80 x 80, they are all crap.
    Even windows icons are a higher resolution. The current resolution on windows is 256x256.
    A google search with size set to icon gets you 256x256 and 128x128.
    I'm on a lot of forums and on all others i can use these for avatars. Some are more generous with allowing larger gifs.
    If CG is concerned with storing larger icons you can use an image host, or recommend one for users.
    The avatar size is set by the vBulletin software that runs the forum, as far as I understand. People upload very large images to the Guild every day, so it's certainly not a storage issue.

I can appreciate it's quite a small size, but hey, you want to learn vector, right? So make your own. If you haven't got Illustrator yet, download Inkscape for free, and give it a bash. It's quite possible to have crisp clear images that are only 80px (you know, like mine! )
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

The weird thing is that I've just tried to upload a fresh image to my profile, and its well within the 512 limits, but it won't work. Maybe this is a recent hiccup of some kind. I've tried everything.

This is the one:

Name:  Mouse logo 215.JPG
Views: 52
Size:  45.4 KB

EDIT: its definitely not the size of the image. I couldn't even upload this one, which is only 10 px square

Name:  Test mouse 10 px.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  2.8 KB
    Last edited by Mouse; 06-01-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Yeah, I think there's a problem. I just tried too and I'm getting the same error. I tried to upload from my PC and also an online image, but I'm getting the 'Unable to save' error.

I'll let Robbie & Redrobes know and they can take a look. Might be a permissions problem. Not sure. I'll raise the issue.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I've just tried a gif, and that didn't work either.

Silk - if you haven't got the software to be able to reduce a picture of your choice to the right size, the offer is still on. Just upload it here and I'll process it for you.

I'm sure the uploading glitch will be sorted out soon enough

Reducing the image size isn't difficult but allowing a larger pixel size would allow myself an others to use the link feature to change avatars.
    This was especially a pain when I was trying to figure out what was causing the issue with uploading an avatar.
    I'm pretty sure the 80x80 is not a limitation of vB as older versions like v3 support larger avatars than 80x80.
    From a web search it does not seem to have a size limitation.
    Last edited by silk186; 06-01-2017 at 08:48 PM.

I am supposing that there is a good reason why the limits are set the way that they are. Maybe its to make sure there's plenty of space, both now and into the future, for all of us to be able to upload our maps. Those allowances are stunningly generous. Even those of us who can't afford to donate to the Guild are permitted to upload map images up to 9.4 MB each time, and I alone have well over 100 of them dotted all over the place on this site.

It is very easy for me to imagine that the entirety of the rest of the system must be kept neatly trimmed right down to a minimum to allow the Guild to function as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by silk186 View Post
    Reducing the image size isn't difficult but allowing a larger pixel size would allow myself an others to use the link feature to change avatars.
    This was especially a pain when I was trying to figure out what was causing the issue with uploading an avatar.
    I'm pretty sure the 80x80 is not a limitation of vB as older versions like v3 support larger avatars than 80x80.
    From a web search it does not seem to have a size limitation.
    The limitation is not set by forums version but settings in admin options. in this forum its as follows:
    "The maximum size of your custom image is 80 by 80 pixels or 100.0 KB (whichever is smaller)."

Avatar is just an avatar, It helps recognize people before reading they nickname. I like when it is small. On some forums admins allow it to be large, but its take so much space on the threads... NO.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could someone try uploading a custom avatar and see if it works?
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast