Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How can I get avatars from CG?

I tried uploading a few avatar and profile picks, both from link as well as upload.
    All are smaller than 100kb, with the pixel limit some are under 10k. All attempts have failed with the same error.
    If the file is too large, it will give a different error regarding file size.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Gif didn't work either - and I tried a png and a jpg again as well.

Nothing.
    I had tried these all as well before posting.

hmm, no post merge function. I will try to avoid double posting.

Profile and avatar uploads both function correctly now. Thanks Robbie.

150x150 is an ideal avatar size, and the 100kb limitation is suitable.
    honestly, storage of avatars is not an issue as the 100kb limitation would be perfectly suitable not non animated (gif) avatars.
    I have some 500x500 avatars that are under 100kb.
    150x150 seems to be around 10-20kb.
    Assuming everyone uploads a 150x150x 20kb avatar (many people don't bother) 500 avatars would be the equivalent of 10 MB map.

Some sites allow long avatars which can be very annoying as they can be longer than the post.
    Last edited by silk186; 06-06-2017 at 10:57 AM.

I don't think there's anything wrong with 80x80. I'm not too keen on large avatars as they can screw with the containing frames and cause rendering problems, especially on mobile devices. I'm not too keen on remotely hosted avatars either as if the other site is down or something is slow it can cause loading problems. Oh and they can cause certificate problems and may cause surf protection layers to erroneously report the site as a scam.

I agree with you Straf, though were your reasons are understandably technical, as a one time Webmaster yourself, mine are primarily aesthetic.

As long as we can upload recognisable identifying images I don't really see the need to change anything at all, or we will end up with posts being more about who has the most excellent avatar image, which... in my opinion.... would cheapen the flavour of the site.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234