Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How can I get avatars from CG?

Guild Applicant

Question How can I get avatars from CG?

Can CG provide me with avatars that I can select from?

Hi, do you mean your profile avatar? In that case, no. People upload their own avatars. You add one via the Settings menu at the top right of the page.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I also have this problem.

I've tried uploading a few that are below the 512 by 512 pixels or 512.0 KB limitation but I get the 'Unable to save image' message every time.

What kind of image are you trying to upload?

EDIT: sorry - I seem to be asking questions that can be easily misinterpreted tonight. I meant is it a png, jpeg, or.... what type of image file are you trying to upload? I think we have to use jpeg or png (I might be wrong) Mine is a straightforward jpeg
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-31-2017 at 06:59 PM.

Silk, just checking what you're trying to achieve...

There are two pics associated with your account. One is the avatar, which is what you see in forum comments (e.g. mine is the pink Mackintosh rose). You can also have a profile pic. This can only be seen when someone visits your profile. It doesn't show in forum posts. Check out Diamond's profile. He's got Joe Pesci for his avatar and a rather terrifying profile pic of what he looks like in real life!

Is it an avatar or profile pic you want? I just looked in settings, and it seems that your avatar should be 80x80px, though profile pics can be larger, as you've noted.
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

I've tried with both the profile and avatar, both with a link and my own file.
    Every time I get the same error 'Unable to save image'.
    I tried when I first joined but thought it might have been related to post count.
    I tried again today but once again, no luck.

I tried uploading this

This PNG image has the incorrect file extension.

I tried uploading this

This JPEG image has the incorrect file extension.
    Last edited by silk186; 06-01-2017 at 05:03 PM.

Ok. I had a similar problem last time I tried to upload an image to my Challenge thread. It turned out that my extension was all in lower case. Once I changed it to upper case (the same extension letters) it worked fine.

At the time I thought it was just one of those freaky glitches, but maybe some setting on the server has been changed in an update at some point, and it no longer likes files that have extensions in lower case?

Just a wild card suggestion, but try it

I'll give it a try. It's difficult to find a decent avatar that is 80 by 80 pixels, the 100.0 KB is OK.
    It should be increased to 150 x 150 or even 200 x 200, and keep the 100.0 KB limitation.

edit: I tried with a new file: 80 x 80 2.5kb failed every time with .JPG, .JPEG, .jpg and .jpeg

Also, it seems very strange if you successful uploaded a profile picture, I use copy image address and that fails.
    Does the site convert it into something incomparable?

I was unable to set either of your avatars as my own.
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/c...ar104141_2.gif
    https://www.cartographersguild.com/c...tar92725_3.gif
    Last edited by silk186; 06-01-2017 at 06:10 PM.

I find the resolution is perfectly ok for such a very small picture, but then I'm using a 15 inch laptop

The resolution looks OK on my monitor, the avatars are unusually small.
    The size is inconvenient because you can't find anything this size on google.
    Try a search some something with a custom size of 80 x 80, they are all crap.
    Even windows icons are a higher resolution. The current resolution on windows is 256x256.
    A google search with size set to icon gets you 256x256 and 128x128.
    I'm on a lot of forums and on all others i can use these for avatars. Some are more generous with allowing larger gifs.
    If CG is concerned with storing larger icons you can use an image host, or recommend one for users.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast