Thread: Pricing for a world map

Default Pricing for a world map

Soon I'll be needing to find an artist to make a world map for a commercially published RPG setting I'm working on. It'll be full colour, reasonably detailed, 12" x 18", and usable for both pdf and print. Currently I'm just trying to get an idea of how much such a piece will cost, even if it is just a ballpark estimate. In addition to PMs and replies to this email I can be reached at mtbedwards--at--rogers.com

It mainly depends on the details, for a world map I ask about €145,-, but it still depends on the amount of details.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Okay, let's say that's a price I wouldn't be able -- or willing -- to undercut.

Hello Shadowdragon

I'm not a commission artist, but it occurred to me that you might get more interest and a better ballpark quote if you could provide a link to a world map that was similar in size and detail to the map you envisage being drawn for you - more helpful to us, and ultimately more useful for you

I've sent you an email.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Pricing for RPG maps is highly variable depending upon the artist, their skill level (as well as how in demand their work is), the scope of the project, deadline length and so on. Just based on the few details provided I would imagine you might find a novice level cartographer who would be willing to take on a project like this for $100 or less in order to build their portfolio. However I wouldn't expect quality work for this rate. A more skilled amateur hobbyist map-maker will almost certainly charge more than $100 and possibly as much as $300 for a project of this scope. A professional or semi-professional map maker is not likely to even consider taking on a commission of this scope for under $300 and will likely charge more. So you'll want to have a good think about how polished and professional a piece you are after and budget accordingly. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 02-26-2017 at 04:46 PM.

My last commercial full size world map was $400 ($20 per hour) for high end work. For individuals, I normally charge $10 per hour for a basic map. The more you want, the more it is going to cost you. Remember, their time is valuable.