Thread: Natural Map of the Southern Muna Peninsula and surrounding isles

Guild Journeyer Guild Supporter mbartelsm's Avatar

Default Natural Map of the Southern Muna Peninsula and surrounding isles

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map 6.png 
Views:	222 
Size:	361.8 KB 
ID:	93161

This is the second map of eight for an atlas covering the sphere of influence of the Munaan Empire. The previous one can be found here: Northern Muna Peninsula

The map aims to depict the biomes and geography of the southern region of the Muna peninsula and the islands that populate the seas to the south. While the map itself was done entirely with pixel art on Aseprite and took about a week of intermittent work, it involves a lot of behind-the-scenes with different software, including Photoshop for climates and biomes, Illustrator for geography and QGIS for consolidation, reprojection and georeferencing.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Nice texture.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Really amazing. Like I said in your WIP thread, I don't know how you have the patience for this (even with your brushes!).

Haha, thanks. I don't really need any patience for this, for me this kind of thing is mostly relaxing, I just go into autopilot and disconnect from the real world while painting the map. If I get bored I just stop and do other stuff.

Always a very orignal style. You're the master of the Pixel Maps .

Good to see something a little unusual and you've made a great job of it. I can appreciate there's something rather therapeutic about switching off to work on pixel art... but I don't think I could do it! Have some rep for your efforts!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

That map is amazing ! I might be a little bit ignorant but I would never had imagined a pixellated map would look so good. I hope you'll do many more Rep worthy !

I am glad to see you back here and doing more of the pixel work. It's wonderful.
    I would have liked seeing some cities or locations on the map, but it is still a beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Edward View Post
    I am glad to see you back here and doing more of the pixel work. It's wonderful.
    I would have liked seeing some cities or locations on the map, but it is still a beauty.
    Don't remind me. The whole human factor has been a ton of work. Every time I think I have something that kind of works a new problem pops up: how many cities? study about period-appropiate demographics; city placement? mineralogy and fertility; city naming? etymology and conlangs; faction borders? local history, culture, and ethnography; roads? natural resources and economics...

Just to share how obsessive I get about this stuff, I use QGIS to organize my data

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	47 
Size:	265.5 KB 
ID:	93664

Names are pure etymology, I'm working on the actual language (again)

BTW: Do you have a tutorial on your shading style? I'd love to try something like that in the future
    Last edited by mbartelsm; 03-12-2017 at 10:51 PM.

I don't really have any sort of tutorials, because I am mostly crap at that sort of thing.
    But, just ask me and I will try to offer what help I can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast