Thread: I need a map for a D&D World I am building (Warning - Underground)

Map I need a map for a D&D World I am building (Warning - Underground)

Hello,

I have attempted a few maps in the past with little success in making them look good enough, often kicking myself for poor planning and placement that I later find unfixable without redoing the whole map. Paint.Net is my own good software, as I have trouble working with GIMP.

I have recently been attempting to work with Inkarnate, but still failing. I am working with a world right now that takes place in a series of Drow city-states named the Black Marches. I can give more information, because I have actually put very little planning in locations but also a lot of planning into backstory. So if anyone could actually help me, I would be very grateful.

Hi TrueUndeadHero, what kind of help are you actually looking for?
    Map is not territory...
    Current work in progress:Korobrom | My finished maps
    My DeviantArt site and Twitter

Well, I'd like a map done for me even if it's a rough sketch. Because I planned the cities without a real idea of distance between them, I never actually drew a map of the roads that linked them or how far cities are. I only really have a vague idea where some cities are from each other and even that isn't enough. (One city is about three days travel from the other, kind of thing). I never really planned a lay out of the underdark I have built and I don't know how.

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Wired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueUndeadHero View Post
    Well, I'd like a map done for me even if it's a rough sketch. Because I planned the cities without a real idea of distance between them, I never actually drew a map of the roads that linked them or how far cities are. I only really have a vague idea where some cities are from each other and even that isn't enough. (One city is about three days travel from the other, kind of thing). I never really planned a lay out of the underdark I have built and I don't know how.
    Hey, what we need is information like:

-- the map size and resolution;
    -- color or b&w;
    -- deadline;
    -- level of detail;
    -- preferred style (with examples, if possible)

This determines the workload and therefor the price a cartographer might demand.

Okay. I'd like to apologize if I am asking a bit much. I have never requested a map before, and I have very little knowledge about my world from a mapping perspective. I wish I spent a little more time actually planning my world a bit, because all I have now are points that have no place that I can think of.

-- the map size and resolution; (Will Discuss)
    -- color or b&w; Color preferred, Black and White is acceptable.
    -- deadline; No set deadline, but as soon as possible.
    -- level of detail;
    This is a bit of an odd request, but because this is a map of city states. I'd like to have the eight city-states, the deep roads that connect them and a few ruins and locations. We can discuss more as time goes on. But the cities are the most important parts with some ruins also playing a big part as well. I would like the city states represented either by their banners or some more of unique icon for each city-state.

-- preferred style;

EX1
    EX2

Again, I am sorry for not being very specific. I have never done this before, and I haven't really set up a plan for my city-states although I have named them and given histories to them. I feel kind of silly asking for so much when I don't know if I am providing a good answer.

Hey TrueUndeadHero,

I might be interested in this project. You can have a look at my portfolio to get an impression of my work and if you are interested you can contact me at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com.

I hope to hear from you soon.

-Daniel

A portfolio!? You're hired, I kid. I actually have seen a few of your maps in the past, taking bits of inspiration in some of my own failed creations. I would be very happy if you could help me out. I was a bit worried that my mismanagement would have pushed a lot of mappers away, glad to have such a quick response.

Great, you can shoot me an email at info [at] danielsmaps [dot] com so we can discuss the details. I look forward to hearing from you!