Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Nations of Far East Lands (personal project)

Default The Nations of Far East Lands (personal project)

Back when i was making Kaherm map, some of you may remember me saying i drew many maps before, but never finished any of them. I decided to come back to one particular project, after seeing one of recent Max' map Atabean Sea.
    This map reminded me what i was trying to draw some years ago, but haven't had a clue how to achive some effects. Now with more knowledge and better determination i could make what i wanted back then. The map itself may look simillar to Max' map. It is not intentional, i always wanted to create sepia-looks map on worn out parchment.

I present you The Nations of Far East Lands (couldn't think of better name LOL).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Nations of Far East Lands_CG.jpeg 
Views:	557 
Size:	1.67 MB 
ID:	93558
    Last edited by Voolf; 03-12-2017 at 01:21 AM.

Guild Expert Guild Supporter Greg's Avatar

Nice work once again Voolf! Great use of the illustrations, rhumbs and sea squiggles (as I like to call them). I like the way you've done the mountains too and kept the whole thing relatively simple with just the landmasses, the mountains and the text, it's so easy to overcomplicate a map like this, so it's simplicity is definitely a great asset to have.

A couple of little nitpicks, but they really are just small. I think I'd like to see a few more highlights on the parchment just here and there, as although its not dark in any shape or form I think it would bring the parchment to life even more. Also, I think the text is a little too clean for my liking along the the motif in the corner, which when roughened up a tad could also really add to the whole parchment look.

And as you say, definitely similarities with Max's recent map, but that's in no way meant as a bad thing!

Good work once again Voolf and I would rep you but that title is just awful...

...no, I would rep you but it seems you've just been producing too much good work to keep up with so I can't right now!

Very good map ! I especially like the lintless mountains, that really tells how good your shading skills are

Guild Master Facebook Connected - JO -'s Avatar

Raaah ! I can't rep you for now... and yet this one is so Rep-worthy !!!!! I really, really like this one ! And I think, I'll try to replicate your beautiful method for a map of mine !

Quote Originally Posted by GLS View Post
    Nice work once again Voolf! Great use of the illustrations, rhumbs and sea squiggles (as I like to call them). I like the way you've done the mountains too and kept the whole thing relatively simple with just the landmasses, the mountains and the text, it's so easy to overcomplicate a map like this, so it's simplicity is definitely a great asset to have.

A couple of little nitpicks, but they really are just small. I think I'd like to see a few more highlights on the parchment just here and there, as although its not dark in any shape or form I think it would bring the parchment to life even more. Also, I think the text is a little too clean for my liking along the the motif in the corner, which when roughened up a tad could also really add to the whole parchment look.

And as you say, definitely similarities with Max's recent map, but that's in no way meant as a bad thing!
    Thanks, I have to work with the paper more, i agree, haven't cracked that one completaly yet. As for the text, i tried to erase parts of it using brush with small dots and low opacity, but it made some very hard to read. I didn't put much effort to it though, i reverse the change and left it :/

Quote Originally Posted by thomrey View Post
    Very good map ! I especially like the lintless mountains, that really tells how good your shading skills are
    Thank you, The mountains originally had the lines but i made second shade/light pass for them and realize that they look better without them after .

Quote Originally Posted by - JO - View Post
    Raaah ! I can't rep you for now... and yet this one is so Rep-worthy !!!!! I really, really like this one ! And I think, I'll try to replicate your beautiful method for a map of mine !
    Quote Originally Posted by GLS
    I would rep you but it seems you've just been producing too much good work to keep up with so I can't right now!
    It is ok. I already "have reputation beyond the repute" LOL. I appreciate comments. Looking forward to see your map JO.

Hey! Pirate islands and squids/krakens are on fashion, it seems . Excellent map, Voolf! Every elements are well done and works well together.

Hey Voolf

Another lovely map - and quite a surprise for me. You have so many different styles!

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Robulous's Avatar

Very nice - one criticism, the white outline around the islands doesn't make sense since it's lighter than the colour of the paper.

And the black text in particular is too crisp for an old map. I'd suggest making the ink colour more brown.

Also - it upsets my OCD to have the "South Adamantos" covering an island. Maybe move the label so the space is in the middle of island, or put a gap between the words with the little island in between?

But all good otherwise, love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilanthar View Post
    Hey! Pirate islands and squids/krakens are on fashion, it seems . Excellent map, Voolf! Every elements are well done and works well together.
    They always have been . Thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hey Voolf

Another lovely map - and quite a surprise for me. You have so many different styles!
    I would say that i am working on new styles, as just one is not enough for me

Quote Originally Posted by Robulous View Post
    Very nice - one criticism, the white outline around the islands doesn't make sense since it's lighter than the colour of the paper.

And the black text in particular is too crisp for an old map. I'd suggest making the ink colour more brown.

Also - it upsets my OCD to have the "South Adamantos" covering an island. Maybe move the label so the space is in the middle of island, or put a gap between the words with the little island in between?

But all good otherwise, love it.
    Good advices, I will add space between words and see how it works out. Thanks

This is such a beautiful map! I love it.
    It makes me want to do a map in this style.
    I'll probably take inspiration from this in the future.
    Great work Voolf.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast