Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map - Unnamed

This is coming along really nicely, Hustle

I think I prefer the one you call 'cartoonish' for colour.

Thanks, Mouse! I'm still very much trying to "find" my style. I get so caught up in admiring others' work that I keep forgetting I need to just practice a couple of things at a time.

Cartoonish color it is, then! Maybe once I get more on the map it'll look better to me.

Worrying about style is like cramming a newly decorated room in your house with all the clutter from the loft before the paint is even dry. Stop worrying about it and it will just happen over time. Meanwhile enjoy the freshly decorated room while its still all bright and beautiful

I've just noticed now that I've looked at it again - with the cartoonish colour you seem to have lost a lot of the contrast between land and sea, making everything rather grey compared to the one above it. That's just an observation btw

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Worrying about style is like cramming a newly decorated room in your house with all the clutter from the loft before the paint is even dry. Stop worrying about it and it will just happen over time. Meanwhile enjoy the freshly decorated room while its still all bright and beautiful
    Ha! I suppose you're right. I need to maintain some level of patience when doing these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've just noticed now that I've looked at it again - with the cartoonish colour you seem to have lost a lot of the contrast between land and sea, making everything rather grey compared to the one above it. That's just an observation btw
    So, I feel like part of that is the somewhat random colors I chose as my temporary sea and land palettes as well as my misunderstanding of layer Modes. When placed on Soft Light or Overlay, the Land Color (which is a pretty dark brown) hardly makes a difference on the white landmass. If I toggle the white landmass off, the brown shows through (obviously), but it's extremely harsh.

I'll end this rambling and actually go research Mode Types before continuing my downward spiral into nonsense.

More progress today. Added some flatlands features, a couple different types of forests, and more settlements/cities. The map looks a bit jumbled right now, but I'm counting on color to make things pop down the road.

This is the longest I've worked on one piece in a while. At least, the longest I've worked on one piece without saying "I'm making a mistake" during the process.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait.png 
Views:	66 
Size:	371.9 KB 
ID:	95152

Its looking great, Hustle

Looking forward to more

The finished parts of that last pic are worthy of a published book. Nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Pananacakes View Post
    The finished parts of that last pic are worthy of a published book. Nice.
    I agree. Coming along very nicely. I particularly like the shading on the last WIP, that should look really good in colour but is also very nice in the B&W version.
    Glory is the reward of valour.

My blog at: damonjynx.blogspot.com.au

Finished Maps

That's incredibly flattering. Thank you guys so much.

I feel that there's still a long ways to go, and my first few attempts at coloring were less than desirable, but it's so encouraging to hear these things along the way!

Progress this morning. I'm beginning to understand layer-coloring methods and which ones I like better. This is using mainly Soft Light Modes over Forests, Mountains, and Rivers, and a very transparent Multiplied Mode of Green and Brown over the Landmasses.

I'm also beginning to build out the western side of the map, that will include some nifty cliffs and a rocky flatland area atop them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait (Colored Cartoonish).png 
Views:	45 
Size:	465.0 KB 
ID:	95173

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast