Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: World Map - Unnamed

Ha, I forgot to mention that. I set the layer mode to Hard Light for sake of the discussion. I don't plan on it being that bright in the end.

Thanks for the input, Rittmeister!

I'm beginning to catch my stride with this map, I think. Here's some new progress. I removed or replaced a few features and edited others, but I'm just about ready to cross the Strait and begin the mountainous northern region.

Still looking for insight and opinions on Settlement/Building coloring methods!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait (Colored Cartoonish).png 
Views:	72 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	95392

Small update.

I've taken another large step backwards, in the hopes that it will eventually lead to many steps forward. I imported the many layers of this map that was originally 2000x1000 into a new canvas, 6000x3000. From here, I'm restarting on most of the features with hopefully better linework. Currently working on re-shading the mountain/cliff features.

I've gotten a bit of work in on the base shade for the cliffs and some ridge shading on the mountains. Once I get a few layers of shading there, I'll blur the layer and see what it looks like with some color added on.

New features include the beginnings of two mountain ranges on the northern side, as well as a cliffed shoreline along the northwest portion, and a nice hulking mountain near the top.

My original piece above is still below all the new B&W layers, just at a lower clarity level, and I just couldn't stand that any longer!

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait - Large.png 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	95567

Oh Hustle - I feel for you!

At least this way, however, your work will look even better than the first time around

While you are still working on it, how about adding a softer line of shading along the underside of that hard grey line along the mountain ridges - to fade the shading out down towards the bottom of the mountain?

Ha, thanks Mouse! I have to say, it took a long argument in my head. Both sides had good points, but in the end the perfectionist won out.

I'm still very much in the learning process, so I'm sure this won't be the last time I need to re-do something for the sake of quality!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    While you are still working on it, how about adding a softer line of shading along the underside of that hard grey line along the mountain ridges - to fade the shading out down towards the bottom of the mountain?
    I'll do that. I think there are a few more hours worth of shading before I throw any color over it. The last version included a few quick swipes of a low opacity airbrush tool over everything, but this time I'd like more control over the shade. EDIT: I'm currently using this tutorial as a guide, but any tips are certainly welcome.
    Last edited by Hustle; 05-10-2017 at 10:05 AM.

The line work is already a great improvement on the original, and shading will also be easier when you have more pixels in which to fade things in and out of existence

I'm really looking forward to seeing you progress this one.

Still working on shading the existing mountain ranges and adding a few more elevation features before finally moving to forests, but I'm happier with this version than the first.

This should make coloring more fun too, having all these shiny new pixels to work with!

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait - Large.png 
Views:	77 
Size:	2.29 MB 
ID:	95647

Oh yes

Those mountains are looking lovelier and lovelier

I notice how you have two peaks leaning right over so that the peaks are actually overhanging the vertical in the split of the range just left of centre at the top of the map. Is there a reason for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Oh yes

Those mountains are looking lovelier and lovelier

I notice how you have two peaks leaning right over so that the peaks are actually overhanging the vertical in the split of the range just left of centre at the top of the map. Is there a reason for that?
    Thanks Mouse!

I'm glad you mentioned those two. It was a sort of spur of the moment decision to have two large mountains ominously looming over the gap below, framed in back by the one huge mountain, but since I put them in I haven't been sold on them myself.

Are you getting a distracting vibe from them?

Just a wee bit... but I thought it might have something to do with the story

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast