Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: World Map - Unnamed

More work on the updated (larger) version of this region. I'm trying a style of forest that I think is more in line with the scale of the map. No shading or color on them yet, but I think they may fit well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait - Large.png 
Views:	76 
Size:	2.70 MB 
ID:	95883

Coming on really nicely now - I like the new forests!

Looking forward to further development

Guild Expert Guild Supporter aeshnidae's Avatar

I absolutely love your mountains, as well as the cliffs on the coastline. Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Coming on really nicely now - I like the new forests!

Looking forward to further development
    Quote Originally Posted by aeshnidae View Post
    I absolutely love your mountains, as well as the cliffs on the coastline. Amazing!
    Thanks to both of you! I'm currently debating whether or not I should introduce another type of forest further north. Perhaps something a bit more coniferous looking. But it's proving difficult to draw without clashing with the existing forests.

Maybe it would work if you draw some mixed forest in the middle region - the southern coast of the northern continent?

Deciduous and conifer woodland is quite different, but I prefer to see the lighter olive greens of the deciduous trees as complimenting the darker bluish green of the conifers. Don't forget that it is more common to have mixed forest at sea level in the temperate zones, and that it isn't until you get to Siberian latitudes or just below the treeline in mountainous areas that the trees are pretty much exclusively coniferous

I really want to mix it up, but I just can't figure out a style of drawing coniferous forests that works with what I've already done... Any stylistic ideas? I'll throw a couple of examples of what I've been thinking and see if anything sticks in a few minutes.

Guild Novice

Lovely composition in this map and yes the mountains and plateaus are incredible.

You might be interested in having a look at the way Voolf does his mixed forest in his beautiful map of Kaherm here

WOW. Yep, that's what I'm looking for. My goodness, those mixed forests are gorgeous.

He's a very talented cartographer, but there are other good examples out there in the finished maps forum - usually the regional maps. So if you ever get a bit stuck its always worth searching for key words in the Finished Maps forum, since people tend to comment on aspects that shine particularly bright in a finished map

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast