Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: World Map - Unnamed

I dug through my comments because that map looked so familiar, and sure enough, I had discussed it with Voolf in the past.

I've been using another map of Voolf's and a couple of Ilanthar's Domhantyr maps as style references for land features. I thought if I kept going with the forests they'd just kind of "evolve" into something original, but I seem to have found one style of tree and gone wild with it! Ha.

This is quite a struggle... Coniferous forests are not easy or fun to draw with a mouse. Attempt number one (ok, three if I'm being honest) looks like this before shading.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Inner Sea and Strait - Large.png 
Views:	53 
Size:	3.62 MB 
ID:	95948

EDIT: My old forest layer is still on for my reference, so please ignore the faint shaded trees... They are misleading!

I believe I found a pattern I'm more comfortable with! WiP on a new forest style up north.

Views:	54 
Size:	3.18 MB 
ID:	95991

Oh my! Those are certainly rather good

Are you going to attempt a mixed forest hybrid between the two extremes?

Attempt is the correct phrasing, but yep, I'll give it a go, although if it begins to look like I'm directly copying Voolf's map we discussed earlier, I may backtrack.

I think the only way to learn some of the things we need to know about drawing stuff is by copying the way other people do it - not whole maps, obviously, but methods of doing things - like how to draw mountains or forests.

Hands up who HASN'T watched Jonathan Roberts YouTube vid about how to draw ISO mountain ranges for instance
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-25-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    Hands up who HASN'T watched Jonathan Roberts YouTube vid about how to draw ISO mountain ranges for instance
    There's... there's a video on drawing ISO ranges? **scurries off to YouTube**

Yeah, sure

Right here

EDIT: You'll find a whole load of useful and interesting videos at his home on YouTube - Fantastic Maps
    Last edited by Mouse; 05-25-2017 at 04:55 PM.

I think I've got it. The first of possibly two or three mixed forests is coming along nicely. I'm expecting shading to really begin to flesh these out and separate forest types, but for now, I feel that this is a decent update.

The mixed forest referenced is the large portion on the northern landmass that comes from inside the split mountain range.

Views:	58 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	96021

Also, some very minor river work on widths at appropriate places. This will likely be toyed with more in the coming steps.
    Last edited by Hustle; 05-25-2017 at 06:04 PM.

Oh yes - I'd say you've got it just right

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast