Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: City of Galanar Pass

Oops, I guess that I should pay a little more attention to what I type!

I like how this map is coming together. Very nice work. Can't wait to see how the end product turns out.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really like the layout, it seems very natural and random and that the city was built into the land rather than the trees n stuff coming after the city was plopped down. The scale is also nice in that there is more area to see and that helps the "natural" feel. What I would like most of all, though, is to see this done in some other application because this would sweet done in something more "real" looking. But that's for a later day. The layout shows that you have a very strong grasp of what you're wanting to accomplish and a strong understanding of the the geology/topgraphy of the area. Kudos, nice job and all those other things I usually say...plus this: gimme some more
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It's been a couple of days since my last update. This is almost finished now, so here is the latest version. I just have a little more work to do and then I will post it in the completed maps area.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Galpass.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	8826  

Very Nice!

Yep, looking good! You have made some great progress. It took me some time to adjust to the white houses, but I like them a lot now. It gives the map its unique style. I agree with Ascension, the layout of the city looks really natural.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

I find this map very beautifull...

I like the way you treat level.

General look remember me the hârn maps...

GREAT

Blog Entries

This is shaping up to be a great map. The way you have done the rivers is exactly right and should be held up as a example. All the rivers flow perpendicular to the contour lines and flow down hill to the basins. I think doing the terrain before the rivers and the rivers before the city is so much easier than in reverse.

Your city layout is great too with nice blocks of adjoining houses. The white houses takes some getting used to but as a map its great but less like an aerial picture.

The reason that I have done the houses in white (and I may change them later) is because 1) they are simple to do, which is important when you to a larger map, and 2) because, I love the Harnmaster stuff, which they do their cities with white buildings, and it works pretty well.

I also like a little more artistic views than realistic representations. I find that if a realistic representation isn't exceptional, then it looks worse because it SHOULD look realistic, but it doesn't.

To me, the most important thing about a city map is that it looks natural, and it fits with the description and purpose of the city.

I am now working on the map border, and some other little details, and will soon post this in the completed area. This city will soon be the center of a power struggle of the ever violent Free States in my game world.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12