Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First City Map - Verinia

Default First City Map - Verinia

Here's my first city map project, it's for a light-hearted RPG I'm running. Feedback appreciated! I'm not sure about the seal in the upper left...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Verinia.png 
Views:	246 
Size:	2.86 MB 
ID:	93966

Guild Expert

This looks great steelmccoy, I love the style of the buildings.

Wow! This is fantastic!
    The painterly style is really neat.
    Did you do this on a 3d editing program?
    The detail is amazing. Just beautiful!

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

I agree wholeheartedly with Kacey and Josiah. The colours are also excellent, being that certain mix of low saturation orange/yellow and olive green that always reminds me of late afternoon on a particularly lovely day

Thanks for the compliments!

I do see a couple of things. I forgot to reconnect the roads at the bottom to the main bridge. I might be able to make the seal fit a little better by switching the white to sepia. The trees on the first part of the path up to the capitol are a little big, too. Lastly, there's some white trim on the parchment in the upper right that could get a little better. Anything else I should look at?

As for how I did it - "sort of" on the 3d editing program. I actually used Planet Coaster (insert mild embarrassment emoji here). I put together some buildings, grabbed some from the Steam Workshop, messed around with the terrain, and then hit it with some GMIC filters. Pretty time-intensive, but given my inexperience and lack of artistic bent it was pretty easy to put together. And now I have a 3d model of my city, so that's kinda nice. Feels a bit like cheating, but I like the result.

Well.... I certainly didn't see that one coming! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by steelmccoy View Post
    Thanks for the compliments!
    As for how I did it - "sort of" on the 3d editing program. I actually used Planet Coaster (insert mild embarrassment emoji here). I put together some buildings, grabbed some from the Steam Workshop, messed around with the terrain, and then hit it with some GMIC filters. Pretty time-intensive, but given my inexperience and lack of artistic bent it was pretty easy to put together. And now I have a 3d model of my city, so that's kinda nice. Feels a bit like cheating, but I like the result.
    That's actually pretty neat, and very clever.

I offer map commissions for RPG's, world-building, and books
    PORFOLIO | INSTAGRAM

Made those minor tweaks. I think it's probably done now unless anyone has other suggestions.

Name:	Verinia2.png 
Views:	62 
Size:	3.06 MB 
ID:	93972

I don't know how big you have this map, but at the size you are showing it here you could do with just a bit more of a white stroke on the labels. Some of them are in danger of disappearing into the background detail - Factory District in particular. Maybe not so much wider, but not such a sudden fade out. Tricky, though, not to cover too much of the detail.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing, but early attempts at stroking them were looking off - kinda chunky. I messed around with it a bit and think I got them looking better. Thanks for suggesting it! I think it's done - should I post it in the Finished Maps section or is cross-posting frowned on?

Name:	Verinia3.png 
Views:	63 
Size:	3.02 MB 
ID:	93986

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast