Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: March/April 2017 Lite Challenge: Finding the Fleet

Guild Artisan Guild Supporter Tenia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I've come to the conclusion that this feather has actually defeated me. This is the best I can do.
    I actually think that YOU defeated the feather, I love it

Aw thank you Tenia

I really like the colors on this. Nice work!

Thanks very much Domino

Yeah, that feather is so much better now!!!

Aw thanks Bogie

I think this is well and truly finished now - which is a surprise for me, since I'm usually one of the end runners.

I was messing around a bit with details...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finding the Fleet 12.png 
Views:	43 
Size:	654.8 KB 
ID:	94349
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-13-2017 at 07:53 AM.

I finally figured it out. There has been something that bothered me from the beginning. The map, especially the harbor looks a lot like the profile of a monster with it's mouth open. There is nothing wrong with how it looks, but at first I found it distracting, I see monster mouth, not map. BUT then I looked at it from the point of view of "This is a real book and it has to stand out on a page of similar books", Now, I think this cover art does it perfectly, especially for the YA audience. The colors are eye catching, the juxtaposition of the bright feather in front of the dark map and that "mouth" with a fiery glow coming out of it will really make your book grab their attention. And then, when they look closer and realize, "Oh, that's not a monster, it's a map,,,cool!", your cover has captured their interest. Job #1 done!!! I hope that makes sense.

This is like the time I drew that goofy dragon on thomrey's treasure map! LOL!

I saw it about 3 stages into this map, but I couldn't do anything about it because its the correct position on the world map. I've been trying to un-see it ever since, but now you've put a more positive spin on it, Bogie, at least I don't hate it any more! LOL! Thank you - much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    This is like the time I drew that goofy dragon on thomrey's treasure map! LOL!
    Hey now! There is a fine tradition of drawing goofy dragons and other beasties on maps.

I can't even count the number of times I have done something like that. It just seems to happen. One time I accidentally formed one side of a continent into a rhinoceros. Haha.
    I agree with Bogie that it works for you in this case.

Nice looking book cover!

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast