Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: March/April 2017 Lite Challenge: Finding the Fleet

Default March/April 2017 Lite Challenge: Finding the Fleet

This is the existing cover design for an ebook called Finding the Fleet (not yet published), which is the second book in a series of 5 novels I've been working on - hoping to complete all of them before I publish the first one. (makes life a bit easier than having to write the rest of the series under pressure from any fans I might get from the first - haha )

I was going to redo it anyway, so I might as well do it right now - for this challenge.

Unfortunately, I can't really say much about the story, since I haven't yet published the first in the series. Suffice it to say that there is a fleet of interplanetary ships lost on this new world. The main group of survivors have managed to establish a new settlement, and are now about to set out and find out what happened to the rest of the ships.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2 - Finding the Fleet.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.47 MB 
ID:	94147
    Last edited by Mouse; 03-31-2017 at 10:26 PM.

Here's a start:

Name:	Finding the Fleet 01.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	94151

A fresh piece of parchment/paper I made this evening, and which is available at full size (this is only 50%) in my parchments album - if you want it
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-13-2017 at 07:54 AM.

Welcome to the challenge Mouse, I was afraid I was going to have to beg people to enter.

This original book cover is quite good, I can't wait to see the improved version.

Thanks Bogie

Would that be an extra 20 rep points for joining in? (only joking).

I was going to join sooner, but I had to finish off another map before I started this one

I haven't decided yet whether I'm going to stick to the original design or not. Whatever I do I think the feather was always a bit too prominent and maybe a bit plastic - probably because its only a very simple CorelDraw vector drawing I did a very long time ago now. The original concept I had in my mind's eye was much better than the cover I actually made - I just didn't know how to do anything the way I wanted it to look before I came here and saw other people using the techniques I needed to know in order to do it right.

I guess we'll find out now if I've learned enough just yet, or if I still have a way to go...

Here's an update.

I seem to have done more than I thought, even though most of the day was spent in deep thought about the desired outcome.

Looks pretty unbalanced right now, but there's a lot of text to go on it yet

Name:	Finding the Fleet 02.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	4.19 MB 
ID:	94164

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like that parchment you came up with! I'd like to use it sometime, if it's okay with you...

Great colors

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I really like that parchment you came up with! I'd like to use it sometime, if it's okay with you...
    Aw that's really flattering - coming from a parchment connoisseur like you, Diamond

Go right ahead - no ties attached. The full resolution one is in my parchments album (link above). The one in this thread is only 50%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bogie View Post
    Great colors
    Thanks Bogie

EDIT: the main depth of colour compared to the original parchment colour is down to a radial gradient fill done in burn mode to highlight Merelan City, and darken the unknowable beyond it.

The relief was created by overlaying a height map and a light map from Wilbur, using the actual FT3 world I'm mapping as Errispa as the source, so from the story point of view the map is totally accurate.
    Last edited by Mouse; 04-01-2017 at 05:33 PM.

Still at the stage where the design is a bit unstable and subject to vast and sweeping changes. (Sorry Bogie). I may go back to the more angry colours of the last version. Don't know yet

Name:	Finding the Fleet 04.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	3.12 MB 
ID:	94168

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Tonnichiwa's Avatar

Interesting. I like watching how you are developing this. It'll be great to see it when completed.

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast