Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heian Shrine (personal project)

Default Heian Shrine (personal project)

This one developed into a map from my practice thread.

Based on satelite view from google maps i started a rough sketch of Heian Shrine In Kyoto. Originally I was just trying to practice drawing asian roofs, but map quickly started to grow. Ultimately I finished something that resembles a tourist map of the shrine, so I did 2 versions, English and Japanese.
    It is my first map where i worked with multiply and screen layers instead of overlay for shade and light. I studied a lot of Schley and J.E maps for this one.

English

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heianjingu_v2.3_finished_eng_resize.jpeg 
Views:	662 
Size:	3.58 MB 
ID:	94937

Japanese

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heianjingu_v2.3_finished_jap_resize.jpeg 
Views:	226 
Size:	3.60 MB 
ID:	94938

My oh my!

That is gorgeous, and well worth the wait

If you ever do another version of this one maybe shade the trees many different shades of green between the two you have chosen?

But I have the feeling that I'm only nit-picking because I'm so JEALOUS! LOL!

Fantastic Voolf! I actually don't mind just two colors of trees, in my opinion it looks fine. But, I do have one nitpick on the font: It's papyrus! Just to let you know papyrus is way overused and you should stay away from it.
    This is a gorgeous map Voolf, keep it up! I so enjoy your maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its beautiful Voolf - sorry, but I have to rep you ... love the roof work most of all, and the small detail of the gateway breaking the border
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Guild Expert

You're amazing, I find myself in aw of you're work more times then not and you continue to improve with each one, I can only imagine what we'll see from you a year from now. This is stunning, and I'm seriously jealous of you're work. I much prefer to use the multiply and screen method over the overlay blend mode for shading and highlights, and you're work here definitely shows that you've mastered it because the results are really great... Can't wait to see what you do next.

This looks great Voolf.
    Glad you did both English and Japanese versions.
    I love seeing the Japanese. I find it more pleasant to work with.
    Everything here looks really well done. The trees especially.

Edit - darn, must spread rep. And I just did that too.
    I will return

This is Goregeous Voolf, really a great job: clean lines and colors, the trees are awesome.. bravo!

Perfect! Everything is really well done. The details of the roofs are crazy and the trees are just a model to follow.

Absolutely beautiful. This is a work of art and there isn't a thing I would change. Your shading is gorgeous.

I'm so sorry, but I can't rep you and, oh boy, does this map deserve it!
    "We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams"

Great stuff Voolf and nice to see you around a bit more Your tonal choices are as usual very pleasing. If there was one thing I'd comment on is the water seems a bit bold compared to the rest and appears to stand out. The rest of the palette is more laid back if you know what I mean. Anyway that's just me. Overall it's a great piece.

Is that a Japanese flag in the bottom left or is it a pie chart indicating how much of Japan is actually Japan?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast